Hazing Rituals Over The Years

Back and front both suck.... middle ground is where it's at!

Ahhh! awesome. I sat middle. Yo! The great middle grounders of insanity and anality... :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jared, there are a lot of things that we did back then that nobody does now !!!

Back in the 70's, things were a lot more relaxed, for us anyway.

A bus snuggy, I presume, is a wedgie done on the bus. (Yes we did that too) b**bs :laugh:

We had some harmless ones my rookie year in Garfield, 1970...mostly revolving around memorizing the corps history and songs.

In 71...we eliminated all forms of rookie hazing (thought it totally stupid)...I believe it came back later in the 70's.

The dictionary definitions:

hazing |?h?zi ng | noun the imposition of strenuous, often humiliating, tasks as part of a program of rigorous physical training and initiation : army cadets were hospitalized for injuries caused by hazing. • humiliating and sometimes dangerous initiation rituals, esp. as imposed on college students seeking membership to a fraternity or sorority : seven officers of the fraternity were charged with hazing.

initiate verb |i?ni sh ???t| [ trans. ] 1 cause (a process or action) to begin : he proposes to initiate discussions on planning procedures. 2 admit (someone) into a secret or obscure society or group, typically with a ritual : she had been formally initiated into the sorority. • [as plural n. ] ( the initiated) figurative a small group of people who share obscure knowledge : he flies over an airway marker beacon, known as a “fix” to the initiated. • ( initiate someone in/into) introduce someone to a particular activity or skill, esp. a difficult or obscure one : they were initiated into the mysteries of trigonometry.

Two different things, but very close to the same if the intent of bringing someone into the group is crossed with intending harm or some dumb humiliation.

I will again say that: intentionally hurting or potentially hurting someone VERSUS having them sing the corps song (if you have one) or recite the corps credo (if you have one)

or play their part of whatever from the show in front of everyone in the corps are indeed two different things.

No one deserves to have an eye put out (ie) or have someones sack draped on their face just cuz they are new. But they can certainly be expected to show loyalty by

knowing the corps important meaningful traditions and be expected to display them when called on.