Marching part of audition

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with any corps, the audition camp visual process serves more or less as a period for the visual staff to "size you up" and see if you have what it takes physically to make it through the season. I would expect a pretty thorough overview of fundamental basics. I would advise you to start practicing holding your horn up and getting your endurance going. Other than that just keep a good attitude and get ready to get your butt kicked.

I always remember being extremely tired coming home from camps.

When I auditioned, way back in November of 1996, I do not recall doing much more than a rough overview of basics. I am not sure if they were cutting us based on whether we caught on to things quick or not, but they may have. I believe every corps has a different approach to the way things are done, so your best bet may be to contact the corps personally, or a caption head, or maybe a member from the 2006 season. All the rest of us are just going to offer our philosophies and thoughts which may OR may NOT have any accuracy in them at all.

If all else fails keep your feet in time.

They can teach you technique, it's hard to teach someone good timing.

I'd say that's probably the best advice anyone here can give you.

you can't teach timing (believe me I've tried).....and since almost every corps has variations on which technique or how they teach it, it's probably best if you just go with the flow when you get there and just work on keeping yourself in time with whatever exercises you're doing.

you need to be somewhat physically readdy...some corps do a stance on where you are and size you up to see if you can survive a season

What section are you trying out for? When I auditioned, the visual part was pretty intense, and we went running a lot as well. But that was for the cymbal line...

A friend I marched with auditioned (and made it) last year, and after the first camp she told me that it was the hardest camp she had ever been to because of the basics blocks they did.

I'd suggest that you increase whatever cardio you're doing.... if you're huffing and puffing, and can't hold your horn, they'll keep a close eye on everything you do. If you're out of shape, you timing will suffer.

The most important part of your body when you march is your core (abs and lower back muscles) so if you have not started toning them, you should. A lot. Pilates is your friend. And start stretching today.

I don't know anything about SCV technique, but I wouldn't worry about it.... they want you to learn technique as they teach it to you. There's a method to it. Most corps just want to asess your physical and mental ability at the first couple of camps.

What should I expect to do at the marching audition for SCV in Texas? What specific things should I work on this week to prepare?

wow..all really good suggestions above and I don't want to minimize anything here or what you might want to work on or think about before you go...

BUT...

Just go and do the best you can. Listen and pay attention... stand up straight and count. Be confident. Have fun.

:)

What should I expect to do at the marching audition for SCV in Texas? What specific things should I work on this week to prepare?

Boy, I bet all those Texas Corps are pleased that SCV is holding auditions in the Lone Star state...........