I think that Phantom Regiment's Faust show might be the best show

I can assure you that nobody dared to drop out at the end of that show, or any other moment of that show.

Says "PRC06." Hmm, wonder what that could stand for!

But to throw in my .02 and really contribute to the discussion at hand, I think too many people confuse "emotion" and volume with a great hornline. Too many people think Regiment '03 is the greatest hornline ever. Not to bash anyone in that hornline, but...those horns were NOT good by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, the music was awesome, and they were BALLS loud. But greatest hornline ever? I'm almost thinking the exact opposite.

Now, I'm not saying Regiment '06 was terrible, just saying that people still confuse 'volume, cool music, and lots of notes' with a great hornline. You have to look past the LOUD LOUD LOUD and look at the quality.

Edited by Room_101

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember the recording material that was being used. It's set to make sure that the microphones aren't overfed. Phantom was by far the loudest horn line that night and you can tell that the bar was overset or "redded" by the amount of volume coming from all sides. The DVD doesn't have this problem that the APD and the CDs have. In other words a lot of the loud moments, especially szforzandos or forte-pianos were picked up for a second and normalized by the recording equipment.

You can even listen to the Music Effect Judge complementing the actual sustain of the chords.

In any case it's better to Listen to the DVDs since they do not have the normalization issue that you hear in the CDs and the APDs.

Hey man, sweet news.

Most of the aforementioned problems were WORSE on the DVD. Not only finals, but the semis multicam recording I have as well. Nice try though.

Seriously, are some of you people listening to the things I pointed out and specifically TRYING not to notice them? It's seriously amusing how blind people can be to the fact that OMG THE PHANTOM REGIMENT DIDNT HAVE A PERFECT BRASSLINE LOLZ. I tried to give a little help so you guys can find the specific moments more conveniently, but apparently that still didn't work out.

Oh, and a hello goes out to the Phantom members who read what I write on DCP and have conversations about it. Hope you guys are doing well and all. Looking forward to the '07 show.

When you say a show is the best show ever, you're not basing it off of the finals performance. Cadets 2000 is the best show ever in my book, and their finals performance was far from their best performance of the show. Phantom Regiment had some issues finals night that they didn't have any other night, which is the same for all corps.

Hey man, sweet news.

Most of the aforementioned problems were WORSE on the DVD. Not only finals, but the semis multicam recording I have as well. Nice try though.

Seriously, are some of you people listening to the things I pointed out and specifically TRYING not to notice them? It's seriously amusing how blind people can be to the fact that OMG THE PHANTOM REGIMENT DIDNT HAVE A PERFECT BRASSLINE LOLZ. I tried to give a little help so you guys can find the specific moments more conveniently, but apparently that still didn't work out.

Oh, and a hello goes out to the Phantom members who read what I write on DCP and have conversations about it. Hope you guys are doing well and all. Looking forward to the '07 show.

That's probably because those DVD's were designed for Surround Sound but make sure your volume is up, and the dynamics SPDIF functions are at full and you have Dolby Digital, or else it'll sound like a whole bunch of splats without forward pushes in the phrases. I just played it on DVD, and it seemed fine.

I, specifically, did not deny anything you pointed out so, I'm in the good run at the moment. :)

I didn't say they had a perfect brass line, there's no need to get tense. LOL

When you say a show is the best show ever, you're not basing it off of the finals performance. Cadets 2000 is the best show ever in my book, and their finals performance was far from their best performance of the show. Phantom Regiment had some issues finals night that they didn't have any other night, which is the same for all corps.

That's true, but overall I thought finals brasswise definitely beat out a lot of bad exposition in the Semis and Quarters performances. Like for example that trumpet lick in quarterfinals or quite a few chords in Ave Maria both nights that blatantly went out of tune.

I was very very pleased as those massive tuning issues in the ballad did not show up Finals night.

Says "PRC06." Hmm, wonder what that could stand for!

But to throw in my .02 and really contribute to the discussion at hand, I think too many people confuse "emotion" and volume with a great hornline. Too many people think Regiment '03 is the greatest hornline ever. Not to bash anyone in that hornline, but...those horns were NOT good by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, the music was awesome, and they were BALLS loud. But greatest hornline ever? I'm almost thinking the exact opposite.

Now, I'm not saying Regiment '06 was terrible, just saying that people still confuse 'volume, cool music, and lots of notes' with a great hornline. You have to look past the LOUD LOUD LOUD and look at the quality.

Good note! But don't forget, if we all played with conservative quality, fans wouldn't be hyping about Drum Corps much. One of the most exciting aspects of the activity is the shear volume that the winds can produce in front of your face. I find a trend that a high brass winner that doesn't explore a spine tingling "in-your-face" moment with goosebumped chords is not going to be remembered by the fans much.

No matter how many people denounce that out of tune low brass at finals night or their harsh tone, Phantom Regiment 2003's Canon in D has left a permanent mark on DCI. A lot of people will refer to that as a great brass moment.

There are different interpretations of a great hornline. Some consider only technical prowess while others consider only emotional volume. I love the marriage of both, and I seem to find that in Phantom Regiment's hornline. This is partly considering that my corps' hornline is very different in its exposition from Phantom Regiment's style.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam

I was very very pleased as those massive tuning issues in the ballad did not show up Finals night.

I think the very fact that this was at all a concern says something interesting.

I like it a lot too, not sure if I want to rank it just now.

Did not notice that drop –off horn thing at finals or on the DVD, I’ll look for it again but had only 10 horns been playing…I’d guess I would have noticed it at the time or by now

One thing that did strike me …how weak the corp that followed them at finals night and their horn line sounded. I would have never guessed such a drop off in sound, the corp after them always has top horn lines and no one ever blows them away but on finals night…they got toasted

I think the very fact that this was at all a concern says something interesting.

I'll send you quarterfinals APD and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Everyone has their own opinions....some think that the show was the best show in DCI history...some do not. As far as I am concerned Phantom 2006 was a very good year. The members and staff were great people to be around and work with.

Let's stop bashing corps...no matter if it is PR, Cavies, Southwind, Cadets, etc.... They all went out there and performed the fire out of their respected shows.