Drum corps websites

I'm curious as to how corps run their websites. I am a complete novice when it comes to how websites are built, maintained, and paid for. There seems to be thousands of companies out there that can host a website and/or design it for you. What is the going rate for a well-run website? Is there a difference between a company building a website for you and then you (ie, the corps) maintaining it?

And what about databases? Are databases for members, alumni, staff, etc. included in the price you pay for a company to build a website for you?

Is this subject really that complicated or am I just an honest novice/rookie?

A group of us just spent the last month creating an Alumni Association, complete with website. We officially launched yesterday, but as the webmaster and a complete novice ( :laugh: ), I feel your pain...

Web Design and Web Mastering are two very different animals, whereas Web Design really deals with the Visual and functional aspect of the website, and Web Mastering deals with day to day site maintenance. In a really simple (and probably stupid, lol) analogy, Web Design is like being the Mom of the site, and Web Mastering is like being the babysitter.

In regards to design, deciding who to go with depends on the size, scope, budget and goals for the project.

As you can see, usually corps with bigger budgets and larger needs, go through Design Firms, as these types of projects deal with multiple elements (graphic design, coding, etc) that would be too extensive for one person to feasibly produce a quality site within a reasonable amount of time.

Another extremely viable option that many choose to go through is contacting a Freelance Web Designer (like myself...sorry, shameless plug :) ). Freelance Designers typically are much more flexible when it comes to budgets and often enables the client and designer to create a more personal working relationship.

The last option of course, is designing a site yourself. This is also an extremely viable option and is the least expensive (in terms of money, not time). It is very possible that a self designed site can actually be quite nice, but what occurs most of the time is a quick web site is thrown together. As a website is the most open source of advertisement you have, you must take the time to design it accordingly. If you don't take the time to make a professional, legitimate site, your target audience won't take the time to look at it.

Overall, in dealing with design, I would suggest writing down the goals that you would like to achieve through your website and any specific features (forums, databases, etc) you would like to have on your site and figure out about how much money you have to spend. From there, contact some Web Design Firms and some Freelance Web Designers (like myself!, lol, couldn't help another shameless plug) outlining the things you wrote down (goals, features and budget).

In regards to Web Mastering, you usually have about 3 options:

1. Utilize a Content Management System (CMS): As fresh information and information organization is the most important thing in maintaining a well run site, a CMS can be utilized beginning in the design standpoint. This will easily allow anyone (with proper login credentials, etc.) to update, edit, or modify content with no coding knowledge required.

2. Hire the Web Designer or Web Design Firm that designed your site to also serve as the Webmaster. The way this normally works is you would email the Webmaster whenever you wanted to put up new content with instructions on where in the site you would like to place it.

These first two options usually work the best for those who have little to no knowledge of all things web.

3. Do it yourself. Most good designers (whether through a firm or freelance designer) will, at request, provide a "guide" with simple instructions on how to edit, add and delete content. Usually this does not include instructions on editing higher level site functions, but it will allow you to keep content fresh on your own terms.

Hope that post helps, didn't intend for it to run that long.

PM me if you would like more info/advice. (Or if you would like to talk to me about designing your site!...3 shameless plugs, could've been worse, lol.)

Edited by DCIaddict3287

I think it depends on what you're looking for in a website. The poster who said that you have to set goals is correct.

My wife (Lancerlady) and I designed the "Official 27th Lancers" website from scratch 27thLancers which is hard to do and not so hard to do. We wanted to find all the right colors that represented the corps. And finding the tartan was a bonus. The technical aspect we run also with help from my brother who is technical savvy and he trains us, but we both have technical skills. So I guess it just depends on if you can find someone in the organization that has the skills you need without having to hire a firm to do it. You can go that route too.

That would be one way to do it without it being as expensive as hiring a firm to do it.

The database depends...most do include alumni information privately or publicly.

It takes a business sense and a technical sense to be able to do it yourself. As well as a lot of patience.

Yes DCI Addict made some very excellent points. You have to remember it is always a work in progress.

Edited by That70'sLancer

Although I have little knowledge of websites, why not experiment with Myspace or Yahoo Groups? They are free, and you can get together with some friends and share ideas.

Myspace and Yahoo groups are in fact great ways to promote your site and they offer exposure to a much larger audience, rather than only to those specifically involved with the kind of activity you're promoting.

However, in terms of someone looking for information about a business or artist (especially potential sponsors or partners), the "legitimacy" of Myspace can and probably will be questioned.

Just adding another 2 cents as to the necessity for an actual, well designed site.

Edited by DCIaddict3287

we just launched the new website for the Oregon Crusaders which is simple and cool. Check it out.

It's at www.oregoncrusaders.org

:doh:

That's awesome!

I do Yamato's website. I guess I do both the web mastering and designing, though some help from 3rd parties (Cody Jones is an awesome graphics designer by the by... thanks!!) has been sought at times. When choosing the company to host it, my top priority was customer service, and the current company is pretty good with that, plus the price was fairly reasonable.

I use a lot of open source software for the site so that the corps doesn't have to pay for any royalty fees or anything, and the site itself is setup as a weblog so the director (or anyone for that matter that has authorization) can post a PR from any computer anywhere. Something like that just makes sense.

In designing the site, my top priority was ease of use. I'm not into the flashy stuff, but I want people to find what they're looking for in the shortest amount of time, but without using so much wording and clutter that the user gets confused.

do wish at times though that there would be more PR, and I would rather have a professional e-commerce person handling the online store, but I can't get everything I want... oh well.