shhh. vk.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a post where someone was praising the DCI post of the 93 corps performance of "Angels we have hear on high" I saw a post where Myra (VK web and newsgroup queen said something like "You're Welcome".

And to that, I became ultimately offended by the attempt of the founders of this NEW organizations attempt to "take credit" for work they neither did or inspired, but are working to capitalize on. Will they now take credit for all the work I and my Velvet Knights brothers and sisters did in the 80's, 70's, 60's ???

Ok, so I was utterly confused about this reference. i'm an avid reader of the boards and a supporter of VK (old and new) and hadn't seen this phantom post. then i realized that there was a post on worldofpageantry. so checking there i noticed that what she said - not "said something like" but what she actually said was...

>>Thank you for posting that......>> here's the link to the post http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11092 to verify.

i'd suggest that you check facts before you attempt to hold someone's feet to the fire for a perceived wrong. it's pretty obvious that you simply want to smear. shady. and certainly not 2cool. it's interesting that a board member/exec director of Impulse AND his PR guy (Ryan Turner) are engaged in this. don't you guys have a corps to run?

Edited by acecannon

out

Edited by rzeilinger

Ok, so I was utterly confused about this reference. i'm an avid reader of the boards and a supporter of VK (old and new) and hadn't seen this phantom post. then i realized that there was a post on worldofpageantry. so checking there i noticed that what she said - not "said something like" but what she actually said was...

>>Thank you for posting that......>> here's the link to the post http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11092 to verify.

i'd suggest that you check facts before you attempt to hold someone's feet to the fire for a perceived wrong. it's pretty obvious that you simply want to smear. shady. and certainly not 2cool. it's interesting that a board member/exec director of Impulse AND his PR guy (Ryan Turner) are engaged in this. don't you guys have a corps to run?

Yeah Ace, because the 30 seconds it took for me to come up with my post sure dug in to precious time I could have spent "running Impulse". What are you? New? So in other words, I should just go away and quiet down, eh? OK. Again...great advice.

VK Youth Arts Organization registered as a 501c3 with the state of California in October of 2006, and has a different EIN number than the "suspended" entity Velvet Knights, Inc which was chartered in 1963. (The Original chartered and folded organization)

VKYAO is also a registered DBA in LA County along with the DBA Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle corps (filed twice, why? I don't know) in LA county.

But because they do not use the same Tax ID (EIN) number as "authentic" Velvet Knights Inc, they do not aquire the tax liability.

With ALL the hype being posted by this group, I and many Velvet Knight Alumni would appreciate it if this new VK Organization avoid the attempt to create the impression that they ARE the organization that produced the successes they are now conveniently capitalizing on. Many of us VK (1963 charter) Alumni don't like or care for this...excpt those running this new VKYAO obviously.

This is where it stops being about the new kids coming in and becomes about offending us old kids who made this possible for them to capitalize on work already done. We ALL matter and are NOT our to smear this new group. We are simply communicating.

Sorry,,, I will not shut the *&(&^ up about THIS!

RZ

VK 80-85

VK RIP 97

First off I don't mean to offend anyone, but I know you probably wont take my post too seriously since i rarely post on here. You say the new VK is attempting to create the impression that they are the old VK why don't you show up to a camp where you will clearly see that is not the case. They make it clear that they are not the old VK. They are a new corps with similar yet different style than that of the old one. People are clearly both interested in seeing this group and being a part of this group. It's also one thing for people who hear about VK coming out this summer to assume that they are "coming back"

They make it clear that they are not the old VK. They are a new corps with similar yet different style than that of the old one.

How about Myra make this clear on all her posts, AND a CLEAR and Present Disclaimer on the website.

That would solve many, many, many issues floating around the web.....really! it would.

Velvet Knights

RIP 1963-1997

Edited by rzeilinger

They make it clear that they are not the old VK.

"VK Youth Arts Organization is a non-profit organization dedicated to music education and the fostering of excellence in young people, on and off the performance field. VKYAO is the home of the Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps, taking the field in 2007, and the Full Force Percussion Ensemble."

VKYAO Myspace

First off I don't mean to offend anyone, but I know you probably wont take my post too seriously since i rarely post on here. You say the new VK is attempting to create the impression that they are the old VK why don't you show up to a camp where you will clearly see that is not the case. They make it clear that they are not the old VK. They are a new corps with similar yet different style than that of the old one. People are clearly both interested in seeing this group and being a part of this group. It's also one thing for people who hear about VK coming out this summer to assume that they are "coming back"

I don't think that people are complaining that people think the new VK is the same as the old VK. I think the complaint is that VK might be trying to capitalize on the reputation and history of the Velvet Knights, a reputation and history that VK did not themselves earn.

Now why might people think that VK might be trying to capitalize on the reputation and history of the Velvet Knights? What motive might VK have in "playing up" the reputation and history of the Velvet Knights (without calling themselves that, of course)? Advantages are obvious enough: increased membership, improved PR/hype, increased fundraising, fan interest, "allumni" interest, etc.

Hopefully, no one is pretending that the name of the corps, VK, was chosen as a wacky pairing of consonants, and such a name would have been chosen if Velvet Knights had not previously existed.

Nothing is won easily in drum corps, and I can sympathize with the Southern California corps who have gone to the hard work and dedication of creating a history of their own, with yearly efforts to survive and grow, only to see their member talent pool (and perhaps staff?) predated on by another area corps, with the unfair advatage that it is naturally associated (albeit not legally) with a past corps itself recognized as "VK."

By the way, it appears even VK can become confused on the matter of its identity: (vkyao website, staff page).

Steve began his drum corps life in Pennsylvania with the senior corps, The Westshoremen. He has danced professionally in dozens of productions including national and international companies of A Chorus Line, Cats, Starlight Express, Evita, Pippin and West Side Story. He joins the Velvet Knights as dance and movement consultant.
(Emphasis added).

Staff comments:

Christopher Rutt, a 1998 Cadets mello age-out, recently Crossmen brass staff, Star United Minicorps (DCA champs), Blast! cast member and '04 Syracuse Brigadiers, is now instructing for the VK and Bluecoats. . . .

Rutt said, "I am teaching the Velvet Knights this summer as well as the Bluecoats, and this weekend is an audition/rehearsal camp for VK. In fact, VK is back. . . .

Rutt continued . . . "This is an opportunity of a lifetime to bring back an 'infamous' corps with a rich history!"

(Emphasis added)

And on their own myspace (http://myspace.com/vkyao), under "Band [sic?] Members"

The Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps is a junior drum and bugle corps, open to students 22 and under. The corps holds camps during the winter, and participates in competitions during the summer, in preparation for the Drum Corps International World Championships in August. In 2007, the championships are being held right here in Pasadena!

(Emphasis added)

Just typos and misstatements? I'll hasten to add that I don't believe the authors of these quotes are being deceitful or manipulative. It is just that the association between two organizations (which, I suppose *legally*, are completely distinct) is so transparent it wouldn't be worth trying to hide it, were it not for the legal issue.

I'm not trying to pass myself off as an investigative journalist (that would be pathetic, since these examples took about 15 seconds of "investigation" on Google), and I'm not out to "get" VK. I'm all for more drum corps. But I think we should be honest about this matter, and realize than naming this new corps VK was a move intended to capitalize on a previous corps' history and accomplishments for their own gain. Although most people seem to have reacted to this obvious association with overall bemusement (e.g., "tee hee, it's VK, not Velvet Knights!") we should understand that this may have real, detrimental effects on other corps, and that their complaints may be legitimate.

-Means