Floor Paint

GuardDad

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the issue is the odor of the paint being used, add a tablespoon of vanilla extract to a gallon of paint and mix thoroughly. Doesn't affect the tint, and cuts the odor significantly.

Old painter's trick I learned from our hospital maintenance staff long ago - they were able to paint hallways and rooms in close proximity to patients without being noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

can you repaint a floor year after year? our instructor is getting together with the percussion instructor and they are getting the indoor drumline and guard a floor to share ( our school is pooooooor lol) and we all want to paint it but she says no cuz "its expensive and we cant afford a new one each year" so i was wondering if you could repaint or if you did have to buy a new one.. iono we have never had a floor.... like.. ever.. lol she had one when she was at Tate but iono... yea ^_^

can you repaint a floor year after year? our instructor is getting together with the percussion instructor and they are getting the indoor drumline and guard a floor to share ( our school is pooooooor lol) and we all want to paint it but she says no cuz "its expensive and we cant afford a new one each year" so i was wondering if you could repaint or if you did have to buy a new one.. iono we have never had a floor.... like.. ever.. lol she had one when she was at Tate but iono... yea ^_^

Yes, you can repaint, but the floor will get heavier and heavier.

Three or four coats max. Then you're dealing with a floor that weights 6x-10x what it originally had. Those are not fun folding, lifting and moving on your own.

:silly:

repainting is a bad idea... it does get really heavy PLUS the more paint that is on the floor the harder it is to cover and the easier it chips.

we generally get two seasons out of a floor... we paint one side and then we flip it and paint the other side the following year.

I just posted this on another question, but i'll pot it here too...

we used behr flat latex paint, diluted with 50% water and let it dry over night. then in the morning we put baby power all over the floor and swept off the excess. The baby powder is not slippery and it helps the floor not to stick when you fold it. we have been painting our floors for years this way and it looks great all season. no chipping or anything.

Yep, we used flat latex as well but we had to paint the floor first with Kills to cover the add....it was a billboard. Like you said, we sprinkled baby powder to keep it from sticking on itself.

Bad thing about floors that chip, is you have to have someone go behind you with a broom so you won't get penalized......at least it is that way in our circuit.

Do you use a bonding agent or a primer or does the latex paint bond with the floor? I've always used that same paint, just with an agent and 60% water. Seems to hold up for more than a year, but it's so fracking heavy! If the latex paint holds without a bonding agent then I've been doing this ALL wrong for ages! :doh:

Learn the magic of a product called Fluotral (sp). Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Mix it with your latex paint and it will not chip or flack. Then do the baby powder thing

after it has dried for as long as possible.

A bottle of the stuff will usually get the job done. Works great and I have been

using it for 3 or 4 years now, not once has it failed.

• 2 weeks later...
Learn the magic of a product called Fluotral (sp). Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Mix it with your latex paint and it will not chip or flack. Then do the baby powder thing

after it has dried for as long as possible.

A bottle of the stuff will usually get the job done. Works great and I have been

using it for 3 or 4 years now, not once has it failed.

Do you still dilute the Latex with water using this product? Also, if you would, get the correct spelling on this stuff so I can check it out. Thanks!

Do you still dilute the Latex with water using this product? Also, if you would, get the correct spelling on this stuff so I can check it out. Thanks!

Do not dilute with water. The Floutrol is mixed with the latex and it works great.

I have never had any flaking, peeling or any other issues for the last 4 years since I have been using it. Just tell the Hme Depot people you are looking for "flu-tral" and

they will show you where it is. It is usually with the paint prep supplies.