No More Gaines at Spirit?

"Spirit is pleased to announce Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson have been named Visual Designers for the 2007 program. Together Chad and Randy have enjoyed almost a decade of success with their design efforts at Choctawhatchee High School in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida."

Does this mean no more Michael Gaines at Spirit? What do you think it will mean for them competitively?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means if Spirit has its OWN designers with them for most of the summer who can work with the rest of the staff to make the changes and adjustments needed to improve the show.

Something Michael can't do if his busy with Cavaliers.

I think the MORE designers the better. I know the top designers and arrangers are tops for a reason and understand why corps go after them. However I think it's best when a corps can have a staff truely commited mostly or primarily to them for the summer (rather than designers on a consultant basis only). I also don't believe there are not other VERY GOOD designers/arrangers out there.

Together Chad and Randy have enjoyed almost a decade of success with their design efforts at Choctawhatchee High School in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida."

They don't have any corps experience? That's not exactly good, going from Gaines to guys who write for a high school band and never written for a top 12 drum corps before is a pretty big jump backwards, hopefully it doesn't hurt them, especially in GE. For a recent example of this, see the 2006 Boston Crusaders. I like Spirit, good luck to them this summer.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

It means they might be going in a different direction.

In actuality, the decision was made by Gaines. He contacted Spirit 2 days after DCI in an effort to give them as much time as possible to make decisions.

Mike's thought was that Spirit needed to find an up and coming designer that could give them his/her undivided attention, and tour with them most of the summer. He felt that his resignation would serve as a motivation to find that person.

He also wanted to concentrate all of his energy on just one drum corps. The decision to leave, while made by Mike, was done with the best interest of Spirit in mind. He has always said that he loved writing for them, but that it was time for someone else to step up to the plate as a full time person.

Everyone involved is parting on great terms, and Gaines has agreed to help out in any way he can if called upon.

They don't have any corps experience? That's not exactly good, going from Gaines to guys who write for a high school band and never written for a top 12 drum corps before is a pretty big jump backwards, hopefully it doesn't hurt them, especially in GE. For a recent example of this, see the 2006 Boston Crusaders. I like Spirit, good luck to them this summer.

All hail the guru of drum corps knowledge.

Seriously...you have NO IDEA if this will be good or not. So lets not pretend this is a slam dunk for good or ill yet.

They don't have any corps experience? That's not exactly good, going from Gaines to guys who write for a high school band and never written for a top 12 drum corps before is a pretty big jump backwards, hopefully it doesn't hurt them, especially in GE.

its a good thing to do a little research before speaking... if anyone has ever seen Choctawhatchee HS you are aware that they are a phenomenal program and very creative in the marching band community. Randy Nelson is/was (i'm not really sure if he still is) the president of the board at WGI and has been, if i'm not mistaken, the staff coordinator for spirit for the past 2 years. Randy is no stranger to corps and the performing arts by any means. and judging by his work with choctawhatchee's marching band and winterguard, this year spirit should have quite the visual program. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with