Americanos

dcf06

Are the Americanos are done for?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the past four years what do you think will happen>

• Im optimistic they have a strong history. It would be a shame if they gave up.
    • We will see what happens... (idk)
    • Not a chance, they seem to be digging themselves in a hole.
    • They are like y to return later. but I dont see them coming back anytime soon.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could this happen??? When I taught the Americanos in the late 90's money was plentiful....

I still wish they would reorganize as an all-age corps or alumni unit. There is too much history in that corps not to have an ensemble out there, even if the money isn't there for a DCI touring corps

Its simple, The BoD tried to do the staff job, and forgot about there duties as Board members. They basicly kept screwing people over. In 2003, when joe, left they really had no one to take over the corps thats where the 99 show was reintroduced. That year they had also went on a spending spree and got alot of stuff. A new corps van, a new staff bus, two new trailers, new precussion and pit, as well as new brass. They also had started to clean up there corps hall and started repaving the parking lot. In 2004 they shoudnt have ignored the fact that they didnt have enough money to pull the season off but they did, and look where it end them.

For anyone who has ever seen the Americanos hall you can agree with me that its not the prettiest thing in the world , but it is big. Half of the building they dont use anymore. This was the old night club that they shut down. This empty space is costing them big. The building itself is costing them with weather, heating bills kill them. The Bingo program isnt what it use to be, and the bingo program is ther only source of income. Wisconsin recently changed the non-profit gaming laws to better favor non-profit organizations. It showed sometimes when i was there, but were only big crowds when the jackpot was over $1000. I have noticed that they have just simply stopped collecting member dues from previous years, as well. I cant imagine what the bingo palyers are going through.

They have all these great Ideas but they dont pursue them. Remember the new corps hall, that they were supose to have? They never put the building up for sale. Right now they are in a really big hot spot of housing and contractors want the land. I really hope this Alumni Assocation can help pull them through.

As for the alumni corps thing, no body one the board wants to do anywork. I myslef dont understand why there isnt one. Finally 70 years later there is a forming of an alumni assocation this should have happen in the 70s or 80s when they were big.

Edited by dcf06

I would love to see them back but it just seems like they are digging themselves into a hole.

From what I've heard out of Menasha as of late...

Hole dug....corps remains dumped inside....dirt thrown in over the top.

Americanos = dirt nap

and a certain cymbal company wants their loaner cymbals back

Wait... drum corps have corps halls? Wow, that would be expensive! What purpose does the corps hall serve? We always had rehersals at high schools or stadiums.

Wait... drum corps have corps halls? Wow, that would be expensive! What purpose does the corps hall serve? We always had rehersals at high schools or stadiums.

See, they are not really running a drum corps anymore. They just need to masquerade as putting a drum corps together so they can keep bingo going. For what purpose, I don't know.

They were making good money hosting dances and celebration parties for the Mexican-American community in the area. They were doing pretty well until competition moved in on that market as well.

If they sold the building and property, they'd be back to square one, but they's still need to raise money to fund a corps. Sounds like a lot of hard work and for the people I know up in Menasha. They are not happy doing hard work.

Oh, they had hard workers with them at times. The last corps director was prepared to do whatever necessary to make the Americanos vital again. He strated trying to build an alumni organization from the very first day. Slept at the corps hall to help save the corps money. Did everything one person could do to maek it work. And, of course, they let him go.

Again...Americanos = dirt nap