Mardi Gras in Galveston, Texas

Darn, Darn, Darn, I have to do some Army training during the time of all this fun. :doh: Oh well, maybe 2008. :music:

There has to be a good "Stripes" joke in there somewhere... "What kind of training?... Army training, Sir!"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my first parade last year, and it was a blast! Unusually cold, but most of us were stripped down to one layer by the end. You get to march right next to the Gulf the whole way, and the crowd is partying and having a great time. We get beads tossed to us and drink offers and all kinds of stuff!

The beach houses for the 2 nights are 3 stories tall with a wrap-around deck on each one, so there is plenty of ocean-viewing spots and places to hang out. We have been know to play a few hands of poker at some socal gatherings as well...come on down and bring your change!

• 2 weeks later...

We're making final preparations for our Mardi Gras weekend and we'd love to have ya'll come on down...we can't promise the weather will be balmy and warm, but it'll probably be warmer than wherever you're at. Plus, how can you pass up a weekend on the beach in February? Authentic gumbo, cheesy door prizes, a winter parade on the seashore, lots of liquid bread...

How's this for art?

contrabeach5tv.jpg

04mgkiltsfd3.th.jpg

http://gulfcoastsound.org/mardigrasparade.html

• 2 weeks later...

"BUMP!!!"

Only 2 weeks until the big Mardi Gras Weekend in Galveston, Texas!!! Have YOU made your plans to attend?!?!?!?

Come on down and have a blast with Gulf Coast Sound!!!

From my experience it seems to be about 45F to 75F that time of year. (about the same as DCA weekend in NY on labor day). Cold by our standards, balmy by most non-southerners standards.

The one year I actually didn't have conflicts, there was a contra player that did the entire parade in a tigger suit. While it was chilly while waiting around to start the parade, I imagine he probably lost 5 to 10 lbs. doing the parade.

The one year I almost made it, it snowed(dusting) in Austin, TX on the morning of the event. Not that it didn't melt away within an hour of the dusting. Last year I was in Wisconsin on that weekend, where it was a balmy -8F.

We get to run through the parade music at camp tomorrow! Let the party begin!!!

There is still room for you too!

www.gulfcoastsound.org

Drat. Looks like I won't be able to make this. Frontier is having our next camp that weekend.

I hope you guys stay warm and don't wear yourselves out too much.

We're making final preparations for our Mardi Gras weekend and we'd love to have ya'll come on down...we can't promise the weather will be balmy and warm, but it'll probably be warmer than wherever you're at. Plus, how can you pass up a weekend on the beach in February? Authentic gumbo, cheesy door prizes, a winter parade on the seashore, lots of liquid bread...

How's this for art?

contrabeach5tv.jpg

04mgkiltsfd3.th.jpg

http://gulfcoastsound.org/mardigrasparade.html

Man, I'll never forget that! That was either '99 or '00.

We ran the Mardi Gras music yesterday at a SuperBowl party gig-it sounded great! Pretty easy to learn, I think most folks had both pieces memorized by the end of the gig. We were outside in tees and jeans, and some of us are even a bit sunburned :)

There is still room for you in the beach houses if you want to join us! We have some folks coming just Friday night, some just on Saturday, some staying Saturday night...whatever you need to do. Don't miss this party!