Rochester Crusaders' Open House Results

The Rochester Crusaders are proud to announce that we have had a very successful first weekend of the 2007 drum corps season. The alumni party on Friday night was a great chance for members old and new to get together and discuss the old times as well as the future of the organization. Saturday night's banquet was a great chance to get together with all of the others that performed with last years corps. As we celebrated last year we also got the chance to look towards this season. The show, design team and staff were all announced Saturday evening and everyone seemed to be a buzz about this seasons plans. Now onto today......

Pulling into the parking lot it was easy to see that the buzz about the reoganization of the Crusaders had convinced many people to come out. The parking lot was soon filled with cars of prospective members, many more members than this corps has seen in the last couple of years.

The day began with a meeting in the gym to discuss the days plans and to get the paperwork all done. Finally it was time to head to sections.

Going downstairs with the brass line you could hear the excitement within the members to dig into the Jim Prime brass arrangements. After warming up we got into the introduction piece soon followed by Russian Easter Overture. By the end of the day the brass was able to get through both pieces a little under the tempo but not much. Brass numbers were in the low 30s with at least 15 people we knew could not make this camp.

The drumline itself did not have the show music yet but with a compilation of 10 snares 7 basses and 4 tenors they spent the day working on warmup and technique exercises. The front end ensemble consisted of 13 very talented members most which were playing 4 mallets at one point or another. They did have show music and were able to ensemble it with the brassline by the end of the afternoon.

The color guard...... all i can say here is Oh my God. We had about 38 guard show up with 14 people not there that were accounted for and will be at the camp in January. The talent level of the guard is like nothing I have seen before. This is sure to be an amazing year for the Rochester Crusaders colorguard.

At the end of the day we ensembed with the pit and we all did our show and tells for each other. Overall this was one of the most productive and fulfilling open houses I have been a part of in a long time.

Come check us out for our next camp on January 5-6 from 1-9 on Saturday and 9-3 on Sunday. Despite the great numbers in all sections the corps is never full and we will always welcome new members to the organization. Interested parties can contact out re'cru'ting director Brian Wilt at brianwilt@rochestercrusaders.org.

Edited by stacysquire

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is WOW! There are some amaizing things going on with our corps and our future looks bright. In the words of Mike Linton, "this is the best open house that I have seen in the last 15 years. I cant remember the last time I have had this feeling about a season and or a corps. The heart and drive of this corps is there and I cannot wait to do it all again at the next camp. As Stacy said., contact me if you are interested in being a part of this family. This years Quest is going to be a Quest to remember!

Well if I can throw in on this, I was there as a first-day member and I had a blast. Great folks, lots of hard work with amazing results at the end of the day. I love the show design and if the music we heard today was any indication of what's coming - WOW! Looking foward to January camp!

Cheers

Jim

It was an amazing time!

wow 10 snares wow.

Pictures to prove this true coming soon!

Edited by AlbionNY Drum Line

i just want to chime in as someone who was in the brass line today...

WOW

The "energy", excitement and drive that I saw in this open house is a very good sign of things to come!

I saw drummers with their game faces on, I saw brass players giving it their all, and I saw GUARD doing what they do best, work to music!!

If you are out there on the fence and you don't know if you want to march this season, or are still undecided on your corp, you NEED to come check us out!

Give us at least one weekend and try to tell us you don't like it and want to stay!! i dare you... no.. i double dog dare you!

Holy Crap!

More surprises to come. Things are looking good in old RaChaCha!

Heh! Yep - still buzzed from yesterday.

It was great to meet you - finally!

Video from Channel 10:

I do have to say that yesterdays open house was AMAZING. I was really skeptical about as many people coming out for the drumline as they said there were going to come out. But there was deffinatly a big turnout for the drumline! 10-4-7 with a estimated 3 snares more and 2 more tenors coming and trying out!! I went downstairs at lunch and listened to the hornline, and all i have to say is WOW, they are LOUD and GOOD! The guard is HUGE and are very good, already knowing part of the show!! I am very amazed on what a good of a step we got off too!!! Deffinatly should be something to come check out!

-Todd

Rochester Crusaders

Pit-2005

Bass 5-2006