Spartans Win Div. II in '07

There will NOT be a 4 point spread. Even if that much difference in performance were to exist, the judges would be pretty much ostracised by giving a 4-point spread win at the end of a season. At first show, however, that could happen. My '07 prediction is that the winner will be ahead by 1.35 and that you will see Surf placing much higher than usual with a show hopefully back to the caliber of their 2000 production.

ps - There's been topics about the smallest spread (2004 Spartans ahead of ECJ by .025), but what is the largest spread @ finals...ever?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you at Vancouver auditions for Cascades? How was the turnout?

Bad rumors are afoot. I.E., only 7 people showed for the Tri-Cities audition.

Vancouver Auditions were PACKED. 50 guard.

So were Seattle auditions. 20 guard...

All in all, I heard around 80 guard auditioned.

ps - There's been topics about the smallest spread (2004 Spartans ahead of ECJ by .025), but what is the largest spread @ finals...ever?

The largest spread I know of is Dutch Boy winning A class by 9.25 in 1982 over Les Etoiles with a score of 68.05

True dat.

I joined OC in 2005, and came back in 2006 because of the staff. When I got word that the staff that made me what I am today was packing up and leaving to go to the Cascades, I and many others all followed. Because, it wouldn't be the OC I left in 06 if I came back in 07. It would just be cascades lite...

Cascades lite??? Is that supposed to be a "blow" the Crusaders? I don't understand your point there. It just seems like you could've left that last line out...IMO. Unless it wasn't intended to be a "blow".

Please advise. Thanks.

Berkeley isn't the bastion of liberalism it used to be. I mean, it still is, just toned down about 10 notches.

Anyway.

Word is that just as many members of the OC staff were unhappy and defected to Cascades, a few Cascades staff members who were fired are going down to work for OC.

Who from last years Seattle Cascades staff is at Oregon Crusaders? They have not announced anyone besides Jeff Bush and Travis Moddison, who have both been long gone from Cascades, since 2003 and 2004 respectively. Either way, that is good they are working SOMEWHERE this summer.

Were you at Vancouver auditions for Cascades? How was the turnout?

Bad rumors are afoot. I.E., only 7 people showed for the Tri-Cities audition.

Were you at the Spokane and Pasco auditions? From my sources, they were not as big as the Seattle and Vancouver auditions, but that is not a reason to say anything was "bad". You've got to remember, the people on the eastern side of the state have another option--Spokane Thunder, and a lot of the Mead kids were thinking of marching there this year (the ones who marched in the Cascades last year)...They'll be at the December camp though.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I honestly believe that this will be another strong Cascades corps. Whether the corps makes finals or not, it will definitely be a strong corps (much stronger than last years--and last years was not bad by any means). Having been a marching member of the corps during 2003 and 2004, and then instructing last season, I can feel it.

What is your deal with Seattle Cascades PurpleKnights? Not that it matters to me, but I just thought I would ask, that is all.

I think BDB is switching to a camp corps during the winter months. Then a more intense summer schedule.

This will obviously allow many more people from out of state. Which means more people in the corps......

If thats true i will be SOOOO happy!!!! i was sik of days off in the summer when other corps were practicing, and with camps in the winter i can work for a lot of weekends!!! and yes, bdc will definitelly win the cutest corps award (theyre goin to dci!!!!)

I still think this thread is completely stupid, so I'm going to add to it's off-topic-ness...

Chris I'm going to be so upset in '08 when I don't get to see you at shows anymore... :(

:( We have to actually get a picture this summer. lol

Oh, and I'll be out there... somehow. B)

I was talking to my friend here @ school who marched Spartans starting in 2003, and we both agreed on some things. The first is that we agreed that from what we know, Spartans have in our opinions, the greatest possibilty of taking it this year. The second thing, is that OC and Surf could potentially pose a problem. Even with people from OC's staff leaving, I still feel as though they can have a great year, especially after tearing the place up last summer. Surf's program is going to be interesting. The music they're playing is going to be good, the source material is just too good not too be good on the field. Not only is the music going to be good, but their visual program (something that my friend and I thought has been lacking in the past few years) is going to get very good. I'm usually not the type of person to say "one instructor or a group of instructors can make all the difference" but in a few cases I will say it. The first example is Donnie Van Doren with Blue Stars...he made a huge difference. The next example is the new visual staff Surf just got. I worked with those guys for three years, and they undoubtably have a wealth of knowledge that is going to help Surf improve leaps and bounds. There's a reason we won field visual 2 out of the last 3 years, and as much as I'd like to say it was us kids, it had a lot to due with what we were taught and how we were taught. so this could get interesting....

do I think it will be a 4 point spread....no. For the same reason I didnt' feel there would be one this past summer. It's going to be very close, and my prediction for '07 is that it won't be decided until the last day. and when I say that I don't mean to say the corps with the highest score is going to win. I mean that some funny things have happened, and probably will once again....just throwing that out there.

No one can make any predictions when not even all of the corps have started camps yet. You never know what kind of members anyone is going to get, how bad the members want, and most of all, how much heart they have. No one knows exactly how many people are going to be in each corps or if a corps will run in to financial problems later down the road. I think anyone that is already calling out "winners" is either being a little biased or just wants people to get they're own hopes shot down.