II/III DVDs

OK so on the back of the sheets it says hard demanding drill wins, is that what you are saying?

Because if it does say that maybe I missed it. Or maybe in the last few years the videos lie?

Its all about design, coordination and execution. For any further examples, just look at 2004

Spartans and 2006 Academy. Great shows, both winners, demanding visually not really.

Well, the demand argument doesn't always pan-out. Your typical scenerio is thus:

staff says to judge "but we're asking more from these kids than our competitors"

judge says to staff (in a VERY PC way) "yes, but you're kids aren't succeeding."

I am afraid to say that its not as much the "what," but rather "how." In the examples you cite, both corps look and move well. Don't rule out Academy on demand, however, because I myself saw extended strides during musical phrases as well as change in style during one of the "relaxed" tempo numbers. Now that you reminded me, don't rule out the Spartans either...tempos were fast in that show and they covered the field well. When it comes to visual demand, you must also take into account the placement of musicians and not stride/velocity. If both corps never move out of the 35's and the drumline is always behind the horns while in the center of all forms, than yes, you are correct that both shows lack demand. Hmm...let me watch those two (well, give me a week until DVD's come for Academy!!!) to review their demand because now I'm interested in my own point.

ps - 2004 Div 2/3...what a terrible DVD for visual. Could they have selected LOWER stands for Finals!?!?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, Mr Argonne Rebel has given us some interesting thoughts on the corps he's watched on the DVD so far. Maybe when he has the time to watch the rest of the tape he will come back with the more (Heavy hint, here, Mr Rebel.)

I don't believe Mr. Argonne Rebel is an Argonne Rebel.

by the way, I was agreeing about "design, coordination and execution" just not about the lack of demand within those shows...sorry about an absent-minded post :)

Note I did not say lack of demand, I said demanding not really. I go back to the design and

coordination parts of my "design, coordination and execution" scenerio. Good design has

demand in the right places, yet does not lean on the demand to carry the show. Coordinating

smart and picking when to have a challenging move or section of the visual program is the

key.

Learned long ago, "keep it simple" whenever possible.

Remember a mess with high demand, is still a mess.

I agree with any movement as compared with the first 5 minutes of Academy's show. Then they blew the doors off in the closer

Maybe I'm blind...checking...yep...that's it...blinded.

Clearly yes, you are blind. The opening was probably the most demand Academy had in their whole show. Having never seen their show before (except from the side/crappy online videos) I must say I was pretty impressed with the opening segment. Their closer didn't seem like it had much demand in it, except for the like 16 counts of jazz running near the very end (while they weren't playing). I'd heard all summer about how Academy's closer was ridiculously high demand but after watching the show I have to question that statement. The opening segment was pretty crazy, the closer wasn't that hard.

Note: This is, of course going from the DVDs. I might have missed some crazy drill move Academy had in the closer but there weren't too many close-ups so I'm fairly confident. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by TSRTS13

Note: This is, of course going from the DVDs. I might have missed some crazy drill move Academy had in the closer but there weren't too many close-ups so I'm fairly confident. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Close-ups, blah!. That's my biggest complaint about the DVDs for Div II/III. Why can't DCI give us a choice and make box view only DVDs available. I know it's too much to ask for the different camera views like we get on the Div I DVDs, but at least let us order the raw, uncut box view, please DCI.

OK so on the back of the sheets it says hard demanding drill wins, is that what you are saying?

Because if it does say that maybe I missed it. Or maybe in the last few years the videos lie?

Its all about design, coordination and execution. For any further examples, just look at 2004

Spartans and 2006 Academy. Great shows, both winners, demanding visually not really.

Nowhere in my post did I say that hard demanding drill wins. All I was pointing out was that you were 100% wrong when you said that demand is not a factor in judging for div ii/iii.

And yes it was an extremely visually demanding show. They performed it extremely well, so they made it look easy, and that is how you get the credit for it from the judges.