Since the switch to Bb's

Consider the following-

A soprano bugle is played with a trumpet mouthpiece. Therefore, we can conclude that a soprano bugle is fundamentally a trumpet in the key of G, specifically designed to be used outdoors...no? This is logic, of course. Build a trumpet around a .470 bore (which Kanstul has done..."Coliseum"), and the only quantifiable difference between a soprano and a trumpet is the pitch.

It is true that a soprano bugle is inherently less forgiving than a trumpet, from an intonation standpoint. This is because the instrument is too large (in regards to the bore size), and the mouthpiece is too small and thus, a bad match for the key of the instrument. But as a result of such loose slots and small targets, most soprano bugles are relatively simple to operate and get around on, and pitch is more easily correctable (in the hands of a competent operator, that is). A soprano bugle can be ultimately be described as a student model trumpet, in the key of G.

Regardless of what one person (or the manufacturer) chooses to call the instrument, a soprano bugle is fundamentally a trumpet. This transcends the "good old days" argument and the rant regarding "drum corps isn't what it used to be". I guarantee that the cats who marched with valveless bugles #####ed and moaned, saying "Well things are definitely not what they used to be, and it sucks" when the first rotor made its way onto the football field. YES, things change...and we need it! The introduction of the currently keyed horns has allowed the horn lines to become more refined and less raucous...is this a negative?

Nostalgia has its place (DCA), as we mustn't forget where we've come from. But the activity is destined to continue to evolve, and regardless of what you think of that evolution, it's still drum corps. It's still great for kids, it's still about achievement...it's just harder today than it was before. This is a progressive activity, as is the world.

(As an aside: Nemesiscorps, you are nasty sir. The callous and demeaning manner in which you present your opinions is disheartening. Doesn't this activity exist for fun? Is this a form of jealousy? A thought...)

You're right sir. I apologize. I am quite passionate and highly opinionated, and I often think afterward; Was that too harsh?, when I post. I really don't mean to be personal or disrespectful to anyone, but I'm also addicted to debate on issues that I feel strongly about, and I admit that I unfortunately enjoy stirring the pot from time to time, to bring out the passion of others as well. It's the NEMESISCORPS in me. I'll try to watch it from now on:)

Having said that, I completely disagree with your last post regarding "technical" aspects of brass instruments, soprano vs. trumpet. Brass winds are brass winds. They are a family of instruments with each having its own name and purpose. That's why musical manuscript and scoring often calls for a trumpet, or cornet, or flugel, or mellophone, etc..., depending on what the composer or arranger decides. Perhaps the correct way of categorizing them together generally would be to call them high brass, mid-voice (brass), and low brass, but you don't call them all trumpets, either technically or otherwise. It makes a person sound like they're trying to justify something, and therefore simply refusing to call an instrument what it actually is.

Finally, it also seems that whenever anyone refers to the period of time before the year 2000, they speak as if we’re talking ancient times. They also speak in absolutes, as if the 1996, 97, or 99 horn lines struggled with quality in performance or intonation due to terrible "student model" horns in "G". In addition, I also find these same people that in some cases have been playing all of just over 5 years, speaking as if they are all knowledgeable experts on tonality and quality instrumentation. It's very annoying to me, but I'll watch my tone of response from here on.

Thanks for putting me in check. Semper Fi!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How lame!!! The day that calling them "trumpets" becomes the norm (and not just some doofy arranger's way of being clever) is the day i quit going to shows.

--> Jake

oh well. if you're that defensive about what an instrument is called, it doesn't really matter if you attend shows or not now... I'm sure you only say negative things anyway.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

Nostalgia has its place (DCA),...

<_< Have you been to a DCA show lately? DCA in the last 5 years seems to be rapidly moving away from "nostalgia" and "evolving" quite a bit itself. Buccs last year (along with several other DCA finalists) was...well...much like what I see from DCI corps and BOA marching bands in terms of show design and style. <_< So, as much as I would LIKE to agree with you, I'm afraid I can't. Unless you are refering to the ALUMNI SHOW! ^OO^ :lol:

But as far as the actual competitive side of DCA, I'm afraid it's just like everything else at this point. <_< Not that I'm totally disapointed because I do like the modern ways of the activity too. I'm just mixed because "modernization" is not what DCA is supposed to be about. It's called "drum corps for the people by the people" for a reason.

Sorry to get off topic, I just could not resist saying something detailed about that whole thing when I read your above comment.

Edited by passionatedc

How lame!!! The day that calling them "trumpets" becomes the norm (and not just some doofy arranger's way of being clever) is the day i quit going to shows.

--> Jake

Just think of all the money you will be saving on tickets!!

Wow, didn't mean to start a heated discussion, just wondering if any corps still use those terms, and more important (the original quesiton of the post) was whether or not these terms are used in the scoring of brass parts.

Jay Bocook score for The Cadets:

Trumpet 1

Trumpet 2

Trumpet 3

Alto 1

Alto 2

Baritone 1

Baritone 2

Euphonium

Tuba

This is present day, mind you. I believe in 99, and prior, his scores looked like this:

Soprano 1

Soprano 2

Soprano 3

Alto 1

Alto 2

Baritone 1

Baritone 2

Euphonium

Contra

Hope this helps.

I certainly was referring to the alumni circuit. If you look at my signature, I've participated in the DCA world a little bit...

DCA in the competitive circuit is definitely becoming more progressive.

That's fine. I was juct commenting on it is all. Wasn't trying to start an arguement. No need to get defensive.

Edited by passionatedc