SoCal Dream Open House Thoughts

This was my experience at the Dream Open House from the perspective of someone “new” to the corps.

The day started with some breakfast with the brass staff. Thom was on time as usual and Soos was about 30 minutes late. So far nothing unexpected. We had a great time catching up and getting ready for the season ahead of us. It was definitely a great start to the day.

We travel down the street to Torrance High School for what would be a major highlight of my drum corps career. The first person that greets me is Mike Nash. What an asset to the drum corps community. He is as genuine as they come. So far so good. Next up was Seth Gambetty. I love this guy. He has a plan and a clear vision of the present and future of this corps. My immediate impression was that this guy is a natural leader. It appears that Dream has finally achieved a solid administration designed for success. Sweet….

Over the next hour people starting arriving…..a lot of people started arriving. Hugo Cuellar is back! This guy is a brother to me. I got to see his beautiful family and catch up on how everyone is doing. This is the best day. Open House starts about 10 minutes late due to the number of people that showed up.

And it begins….Seth starts the event with a great presentation that introduces everyone to the 2007 staff. Next up is John Wales, 1 out of 2 arrangers, to unveil the 2007 Dream production. Dreamscapes! There is an electric buzz throughout the room. Jaws hit the floor, Seth has a grin that the Cheshire Cat would be jealous of and the brass staff is salivating. I’ll give you my thoughts on John Wales after we play the music. Next up, Seth explains that the best way to get an idea what Dream is about is to spend the next hour as a member. The battery, front ensemble, guard and brass go their separate ways to rehearse.

The brass gets to work handing out instruments and music. We begin to play through some simple warm-ups. So far things are looking good. Now it’s the moment everyone has been waiting for, we begin to play the show music. The ballad begins with a nice solo. “Who wants to play the solo?” A hand goes up and it’s the one guy with a red shirt. The Star Trek geeks immediately realize that this guy was meant to play this solo at this moment. (Something about the guy in the red shirt always dies…ask your local geek for further explanation.) This ballad sounds good……real good. We decide to split into sectionals and tweak it a bit.

The high brass is out the door, arching it up and getting ready to throw down. This group means business. The sound in front of me is awesome. I get my first goose bumps of the season. Minor tweaks, a couple of dynamics and this section is on fire. The balance down the line is perfect. Time to reassemble the brass and see what we have.

The hornline plays their ##### off. Thom keeps looking at me because I am uncontrollably giddy. The lower brass is on fire. What a great sound! This hornline owns the ballad. If this is what we can achieve in 20 minutes, it’s frightening to think what is ahead of us. John Wales has written some music that captures the production perfectly. This guy is as nice as he is talented. His music challenges and showcases the brass perfectly. The talent is overwhelming in this organization.

The corps rejoins to finish the day out with the administrative and member commitment details. This year the Dream administration has been able to lower the costs for the season from years past. Mike Nash explains how the fundraisers work. They have made it so easy to raise money to pay for your entire member fee without spending any money. The Scrip program is so easy. Just prepay for stuff you will already spend money on and the proceeds will go towards your account. The light goes off in everyone’s mind and they’re thinking the same thing…..”I can actually do this”. This is the homerun Dream was looking for. I look at the clock and what felt like 15 minutes was actually over 2 hours. Nobody was questioning if to join, it was more of planning for the next rehearsal. I would be absolutely surprised if someone did not return. It was just that much fun.

As people begin filing out of the band room of Torrance High, there is an energy that is indescribable. Excitement is at a 9000! My brother-in-law came just to hang out for the day. He’s in the army as a recruiter and works 6 days a week. He left trying to figure out how to make this work. He is determined to march. That gets me even further excited. The brass staff meets and begins laughing….and laughing….and laughing more. We could not be happier with the sound that was produced in such a short amount of time. Step 1 has been achieved. We quickly plan for the next camp and get on our way.

This is our year.

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a GREAT summation Tyler--and thank you for being part of this team!! With the great talent of you instructors coupled with what I could only describe as a FREAKIN' TON OF TALENT that was assembled for our open house, this year all things are possible...talk about the "final frontier", eh?

I have to relate a story that helps describe how special yesterday was. I was making my rounds watching the three seperate sections getting work done. Guard was outside going through some basics (and to think we actually HAD any guard there when we really aren't even expecting anyone until April was VERY VERY encouraging), mallets were over going through some warm up stuff, horns were wailing in the band room...and in the choir room was the battery. I was in awe. New faces. Nice instruments. And it was great watching "new instructor" Chris Rodriquez speaking to everyone. Very professional and obviously knows his stuff. And as I'm standing there at the door with this big grin on my face, up comes a very distinguished looking man carrying a bag and wearing a Florida Brass shirt. My first thought was--"Florida Brass??" And then my second thought was -- "Florida Brass???" He comes right up to me, extends his hand, and introduces himself--and wants to speak to the drum line instructor. I told him he was in the right spot, and to come on in. Turns out he was wanting to join us--and that he was from Florida, and was relocating to southern Cal after many years of service as a postal inspector (which is like a COP for the post office). AWESOME!!!!!!!!! An official OUT OF STATER!!! Hahahahaha...man, it was great to see a full drum line at an open house.

Back to the brass--Tyler's description is right on. I wasn't in front of the horns--I was in an office but could see the horns. And I could hear them. Actually--let's be accurate. I could FEEL the sound. Holy cow. I was afraid to go in front of them because I know my limitations, and just as Tyler described in his write up--that would have been me. Just standing there laughing hysterically, which is my reaction when overwhelmed by awesome sound.

So...all in all...a very very great experience, and this only portends greatness from this group. Congrats So Cal Dream...and let the season begin.

And please...

Don't wear the red shirt.

1 day later......still bouncing from the Open House.

I didn't see any bouncing, but that grin on your face was huge.

The bari in the red shirt didn't see it coming, did he. Welcome to Dream

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I'm wishing all of you the best of luck for a successful year!

Thanks for the compliments Tyler.

I am glad the arrangements turned out well.

I know that with this dedicated brass staff, and top notch hornline that this is going to be a very special year.

Thanks to the brass staff for all of your hard work.

John

SoCal is a great group! Best of luck to y'all in aught seven.

Check 'em out, folks.

Thanks Cozy!

and

Thanks Tyler for the kind words! I really can't wait until next practice. I know every member of the staff is very excited! I just got the ending of the opener today, and OMG I can't wait to put it in front of horns.....!!!!!!

WOW!!

--See you all soon! == but not soon enough!!

(is it mid-Jan yet?)