Old Senior Corps Photos

Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Trumpet Band Toronto

Sorry. I think they are all labeled now.

RCASCTrumpetBandDufferinPark.jpg

Is that the one that was also know as "The Jesters" when out of military uniform and wore clown suits?

RCASCBAND1963.jpg

At first I thought this one looked like the R.H.L.I. or Royal Hamilton Light Infantry Bugle Band. But then again that's right they didn't wear the pith helmets.

Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Trumpet Band at Dufferin Racetrack Toronto

Dufferin was on the west side, Woodbine racetrack was on the east side south of Queen, between Coxwell and Woodbine which didn't have houses across the street. The Scarborough boundary was round and about Kingston Avenue a bit east from there. Woodbine racetrack moved to somewhere else in T.O. and the old Woodbine was named Greenwood which is a main street just west of Woodbine. Thanks for the memories of my neighbourhood. Sometimes I recognize the place, try to place the point in time and later on place the drum corps. I think you might be right :-)

At first I thought this one looked like the R.H.L.I. or Royal Hamilton Light Infantry Bugle Band. But then again that's right they didn't wear the pith helmets.

YES we did wear pith helmets. We used to alternate between the helmet and peaked cap.

3 more photos courtesy of Rick.

The Hamilton Viscounts

Viscounts.jpg

Visc1961.jpg

ViscRoch.jpg

Is this the Toronto 2nd Signals?

Apparently not...a few pages back all of these photos are labelled and have been sent in by Rick Allen of Hamilton, Ontario. Rick has been collecting photos for many years of these military reserve outfits. Every regiment had a band of some sort BITD, some of them had two bands. In the RHLI we had the bugle band and a brass/wind band. This is the Niagara Militaires in the mid 1950's I believe. They are now operating as an alumni corps with a few of the original members still participating.

Rick is sort of an unofficial authority on the history of the Canadian military bugle and trumpet bands who spawned so many great senior corps in the late 1950's. He has been thinking of working on a book so that this history doesn't disappear.

Check back a few pages and you will get the correct ID on all of the photos.

Great old photos...

Is that the one that was also know as "The Jesters" when out of military uniform and wore clown suits?

Yes it is.They later went to a more military looking uniform blue satin shirt and peaked cap.

Is this the Toronto 2nd Signals?

Niagara Memorial Militaires from Niagara Falls Ontario. A civilian Trumpet Band that was active from 1949-1964.They did compete as a Sr.MM Corps from 58-63 wearing a variety of different uniforms over that time span.DCHOF member R. Doug Reynolds was their Drum Inst for many years.

Edited by CANDRUMMER