Cadets to perform "Symphonic Movement" By Nelhybel

As mentioned in this article from YEA! :

Open Source Pandemonium

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Cadets Request Brings 400+ Responses

When George Hopkins, via an on line story right here at www.yea.org, asked for ideas on programming for the Cadets, he expected about 50 responses.

Well, there were 431 responses of some kind received via e-mail, snail mail, courier, and just about every method imaginable.

The Cadets program is going to be announced Sunday, December 10th at a reception before the corps’ awards banquet, and according to Hopkins, no single idea is incorporated in the program. Caught at his office Thursday, Hopkins said “I never expected we would use an idea in full but, I did think we would get selections, ideas and concepts that might be worth looking at."

It was never stated that the Cadets would use an idea, but rather that we were looking. We will have a $500.00 award, we will have smaller cash prizes, and we will be sending out a good many t-shirts!

"But, in terms of an overall partner, in show design … no luck”

As a point of interest

The opening material, taken from “Symphonic Movement ” a composition of Vaclav Nelhybel was send to the Cadets from a participant in the OPEN SOURCE Contest.

According to Alfed Publishing:

Many of Vaclav Nelhybel's works for concert band, including this one, are considered standards of the concert band repertoire. During his writing career, he often explored new approaches to composing and scoring. Symphonic Movement is musically constructed in the form of an arch, with C as the tonal center for most of the piece. It is often said that this work, while comparatively brief, is one of the most musically intense compositions for this medium.

In addition to this selection, the work of Imogen Heap was included in the shows of 10 folks. Sam Saunders, past DM of the Cadets was the first to get it to the office, so, this will have to be considered also.

And then there is the work that the team is still developing. In fact, according to Hopkins “ Eric K and I are meeting today, Thursday for 4 hours or so to shake out the story line."

We have some ideas. We have a direction, and we are a step or two into the process, but, there is much to be done, tonight, over the weekend, and for months to come”

As for OPEN SOURCE, with camps, a trip to the Midwest Music Convention, and the holidays, it could take until the 1st of the year to shake out the many applications and to inform all of the activity.

So, hang tight! Relax, and enjoy the holidays!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh...oh...I think I need to go change my pants, hold on.

That's better.

:blush::blush::blush::huh::blush::blush::huh::blush::huh::blush:

We played this in band my freshman year. I'm like...ecstatic. It's amazing. Yay for using wind ensemble music as source music...not as bad of an idea as people think!

Can't wait to see what Jay does with this piece. I wonder which parts of it they'll choose?

Edited by Hrothgar15

Sounds good so far..."Symphonic Movement" is a winner. :)

Great piece....the first HS band I worked with as a college student (Gen Ridge, NJ) did it with their concert band, around 1973'ish. They did not have a percussionist who could play the mallet part, so the director (former Racine Scout member and Cadets Asst brass instructor in 71) asked me to...it was a lot of fun.

Really? Nelhybel that isn't in D minor?