The Draft and Drum Corps

Too young for stories (thank goodness). Looking thru older blogs Nanci and saw one that took me back to that era. Buried in a show write up was a note that the Yankee Rebels couldn't make a Senior show.

Reason was all the corps members who were in the National Guard were called up to deal with "racial disturbances" in Baltimore. Sad part was this was early 60s and crap really hit the fan few years later.

• 1 month later...
http://masl.to/?Z63E5455E

Heh..

(Oh, the stories from that era)

I was one of the lucky ones that made out pretty good from the draft. In July 1965 I joined St Raphael's Golden Buccaneers after my corps , Scarlet Knights, disbanded. In August, I got my Greetings letter from Uncle Sam inviting me to vacation with them for the next two years. In my infinate wisdom, I enlisted in the Marine Corps for the next four years. While at Parris Island they found out I was a drummer and was sent to the band barracks to audition for the band. When I told them I was a "Drum Corps" drummer, they sent me to the Field Music School to audition. After Boot Camp & ITR, I went back to PI to Drum & Bugle Corps School. Finishing first in the class I was given a choice of joining the snare line at either 8th&I or the snare line in the corps in Hawaii. Sorry DC, but surfing, beaches, & bikinis won out over the nice Red Jackets. Two years in Hawaii, and 1 1/2 years in the Corps in Chicago made for some preety good duty and a lot of travel time.

Jim Ormiston

Scarlet Knights,Snare Line..............1961-1964

Golden Buccaneers........................1965

USMC D&B, Snare,Tenor,Soprano,Mellophone...1965-1969

Pyramid Pipes & Drums, Lead Snare.......1982-2007

Park City Pride, Snare Line.....................2004-2007