What do you want out of a show?

both?....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends.

I've been a "music first" guy most of the time during my years involved in drum corps.....and on the all-age side, corps' visuals tend to be more in support of music books than just "stand alone" visual effects, due to the nature of the beast there (not nearly as much rehearsal time as on the DCI side, therefore the overall visual packages are not as complex, generally).

But I have to admit, I could watch a corps like the Cavaliers all day because of their unbelievable visuals, no matter what they're playing.

I guess another way of saying that is......sometimes with DCI corps, I might not particularly care for the music book a corps is playing, but I very much enjoy that corps' visual show.

Fran

But I have to admit, I could watch a corps like the Cavaliers all day because of their unbelievable visuals, no matter what they're playing.

Personally, I feel like their visual program has tended to complement and mesh with their music well over the past 15 years or so, at least (for the most part). It is like they always have their music and visual programs on the same page. Not all corps are like that, where they fit together well.

Sometimes the music is lost amidst the drill, or appears to be changed to fit the drill so much that you can barely tell what they are playing. Drill moves that don't seem to match up with any musical phrasings at all. Sometimes it seems like they've just made it overly complex for complexity's sake, because it doesn't even flow well or generate much effect. I like the drill to flow with the music, as if it were moving naturally to the sounds that the corps is producing. Movement just to try and get into a particular box on the judging sheet is bad design, IMO. It should fit the music.

Edited by Tekneek

Personally, I feel like their visual program has tended to complement and mesh with their music well over the past 15 years or so (for the most part). It is like they always have their music and visual programs on the same page. Not all corps are like that, where they fit together well.

Sometimes the music is lost amidst the drill, or appears to be changed to fit the drill so much that you can barely tell what they are playing. Drill moves that don't seem to match up with any musical phrasings at all. Sometimes it seems like they've just made it overly complex for complexity's sake, because it doesn't even flow well or generate much effect. I like the drill to flow with the music, as if it were moving naturally to the sounds that the corps is producing. Movement just to try and get into a particular box on the judging sheet is bad design, IMO. It should fit the music.

The way I look at it, there's no "right" way to do things in drum corps (as long as your show is entertaining and you don't use vocal amplification). In many corps, the drill depends on the music, and in others the two are interdependent. Each has its pros and cons, and quite frankly, I don't prefer one over the other. I just love a good drum corps show!

The way I look at it, there's no "right" way to do things in drum corps (as long as your show is entertaining and you don't use vocal amplification). In many corps, the drill depends on the music, and in others the two are interdependent. Each has its pros and cons, and quite frankly, I don't prefer one over the other. I just love a good drum corps show!

Oh, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, as in legal or illegal. I'm explaining what I like and what I don't like, but there are bound to be exceptions here and there when done so well that I am able to get beyond issues I may have with the program.

Oh, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, as in legal or illegal. I'm explaining what I like and what I don't like, but there are bound to be exceptions here and there when done so well that I am able to get beyond issues I may have with the program.

Yup. I think this is where the old phrase "Different strokes as long as they don't have amped vocals for different folks" comes in. :P

I vote for music. Don't get me wrong, I love it when there's an

awe inspiring visual sequence, but without great music, it's just not the same.

Conversly, I have screamed my head off for some standstill performances.