Best Protection for drum corps lips?

Best Lip Protection  

143 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best stuff to protect drum corps lips?

• DCT
    • Chap Stick
    • Carmex
    • Other

carmex has stuff that breaks down muscle tissue. do NOT use it! it may feel nice on your lips, but it's terrible for them.

dct is where it's at. even if it melts, it's still ok.

for nighttime...use the vitamin E gels like someone suggested. just bite a hole in the side of it, and put it on right before you fall asleep. really helps to make the chops like new the next day.

I've told many people that same statement about camphor eating at your muscle tissue, but I've found that as long as your lips feel good to you and it doesn't feel like it affects your playing in a negative way, I don't see the big deal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCT has menthol and camphor, which are numbing agents...and they also dry out your lips (ever notice the flaking that occurs after wearing DCT for a few hours?). It also promotes cell growth...which, if unabated, results in CANCER!

Go for Chopsaver or Chapstick All-Natural. I personally use the Chapstick, as it has shea butter, mango butter, vitamin E, and a host of other natural ingredients that repair nerve endings and moisturize the lips...plus, it doesn't leave your lips feeling greasy or waxy like DCT and Carmex.

Edited by Drew Wilkie

DCT is good at night

especially that lip medex stuff.

Drum Corps Treatment (DCT).

For repairing lips (i.e. cuts, sores), Vitamin E works wonders. Don't use it during the day though, because it heightens your lips' sensitivity to the sun.

It also promotes cell growth...which, if unabated, results in CANCER!

That's not correct info. You can't promote cell proliferation with an analgesic. Cell growth in the lips are constant, it merely cools the lips so the blood rushes there as a healing factors. It's like putting a heating pad on your back. Naturally speeds up the process where your body would fix it in a slower time.

It's all still natural healing with DCT.

It's best put on at night, or after rehearsal when you warm down.

:D

DCT 100%

DCT has menthol and camphor, which are numbing agents...and they also dry out your lips (ever notice the flaking that occurs after wearing DCT for a few hours?). It also promotes cell growth...which, if unabated, results in CANCER!

Go for Chopsaver or Chapstick All-Natural. I personally use the Chapstick, as it has shea butter, mango butter, vitamin E, and a host of other natural ingredients that repair nerve endings and moisturize the lips...plus, it doesn't leave your lips feeling greasy or waxy like DCT and Carmex.

Yeah, Chapstick All-Natural is also really good. Aveeno also makes an all-natural lip balm and Blistex does as well. Both are very good.

My lips never flaked when I used DCT and it doesn't say it contains camphor in the ingredients. I also don't think it has menthol, I would think you would be able to tell. Certain lip care companies make medicated versions of lip protectants and many of them have menthol. (Blistex's Lip Medex for example -- blue DCT-style tube)

Anyone know any unconventional creams/ointments for your lips?...I've heard using hemmoroid (sp?) cream is actually good for your lips...although I don't know if there is any fact behind this.

Edited by PRC06