lOUD?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory is correct, King bought Zig's design from Benge, which made bugles under the American Heritage name and called them American Command. They sold sopranos in the first year, 1977 and then went out of the bugle business. I've seen a baritone or two, but don't believe they were ever commercially marketed. King then took Zig's design and put out the famed K series of bugles.

I'm not sure about any connections from the King to the Kanstul line of bugles, but the current line of King marching brass is not based on the two valve King line. The tooling was unavailable. Phantom Regiment, with JD Shaw, Pete Bond, Dave Cooksey, and others, tried various lead pipes and bells to arrive at the current King design.

They did sell a number of horns,I actually came accross 12 of them, including a piccolo sop, at a music store locally that were never sold and sat on the shelf for 20 years.The played very well.I still have the pic, but sold the 2 valvers to buy 3 valve horns.

great explanation!

Favorite note on a sop=Concert D above the staff (G)

Favorite note on Mello=Concert F above the staff (Bb)

Favorite note on Bari= Same as mello *vab (or maybe a C)

Contra= any note below the written Ab above the staff(But Rumbles on an F in the staff)

Other than the obvious (open notes C, E, G, etc ...)

For G bugles: (speaking in standard drum corps treble clef terms, for concert notes you convert to bass clef and go down a minor 3rd, but ANYWAY)

1. A above the staff (1st and 2nd valve down) - you can really paste this one on sop AND bari.

2. F# on top of the staff, also B above the staff - (one full partial up, 2nd valve)

3. D above the staff (1st valve)

any notes in the staff w/ 2 or more valves down comes out muffled - IMO.

In arranging DC music for G bugles, i would say write it so 1sts are always in the range of middle C to double C, 2nd's between G in the staff and A above the staff, and 3rds between low C and E above the staff. Avoid having notes that are too low - unless you know you're going to have burly low brass players that can really get down and dirty.

In terms of keys - I think one of the main reasons G bugles have been around so long is that it makes the keys of [concert] C, G and D so accessible in terms of fingerings. Those 3 keys will always ring loudest - especially G. A concert C scale, as you know, is practically all open/1st valve.

And, of course, there's a reason the double G is so popular - on both bari and sop, you can paste the living f--- outta that one and strip aluminum off the stands :)

Hope this helps.

great explanation!

Favorite note on a sop=Concert D above the staff (G)

Favorite note on Mello=Concert F above the staff (Bb)

Favorite note on Bari= Same as mello *vab (or maybe a C)

Contra= any note below the written Ab above the staff(But Rumbles on an F in the staff)

Now if you could answet the email question I sent you.....