Return to '88 format?

t-mac

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but wasn't 88 also the year that the judges used a different GE heavy judging sheet?

In 1988, DCI went from a nine member judging panel to a six member judging panel. The ensemble judges were completely eliminated. Brass, percussion, and visual performance judges each had 15 points. Brass and visual general effect judges had 20 points. Percussion general effect judge had 15 points (WTF???).

Here is the recap from '88 DCI Finals, courtesy of fromthepressbox.com: 1988 DCI Finals Recap

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that year, good times but a strange system. I was really happy that Madison won, always a big fan of theirs….but it felt rigged. It was their 50 year, they were in Europe all summer so no one knew where they ranked and I did not see them own that show the night they won

It seemed so fishy...

I do like random draw but that could really nail a crop so I don’t know if I like it that much, I also think slotting kind of sucks, sticking corps in their pre-determined order but by how much….maybe parts of that years experiment were cool, but not all of it

And even if it seemed ‘too good to be true’ –I’m still happy Madison won

How long did this system last?

Only 1988 and 1989.