2006 Is Coming To A Close

Losing so many D2/3 corps again this year, but hey no one really cares about the little guys.

Haha, oh we care about the little guys but often times we forget that we ARE in the Div. 1 discussion area. :blink:

I say story of the year would be the many venue dissapointments. No Kalamazoo, No Orlando, No Murf, and J. Birney is falling apart. You can even toss Finals in Indy for forever in there for those of you who considered that a dissapointment. I'm not very knowledgable about previous years and venues but that seems like a lot to me.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how much they've won IS new. In this activity.

2000's for the Cavaliers > 80's for Garfield.

It's a big deal. A bigger deal, I think, than a fifth place show that nobody liked.

As is Bluecoats being the first new corps in the top 4 since Star.

Fair enough, and certainly not intended to take anything away from the Cavaliers or Canton.

It's just that (IMO) we tend to remember the lightning rods in our little world more often than not, and in the schema of the decade or two to come, people will lump all the Cavalier victories together (as is done with 2001-2003 already), see 2006 as a stepping stone for Canton before their first eventual championship...but will remember specifically the dichotomous nature of the Cadets production.

...whether that's in a way that's comparable to "Interstellar Suite" or the "Music of Barber and Bartok" is up to history to decide.

Jake, your dedication to your corps is admirable.

Seriously, though. I have a hard time criticizing anything you say because you tend to keep the outlandish statements to a minimum. It's just that I've... come to expect certain things when I see you post. And you rarely disappoint.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here, because you hint at a few conflicting sentiments, but that's fine.

In any case, it's just love. A whole lotta love.

Sure if you only go strictly by decades, which in my opinion is only useful for making statistics. There isn't some inherent boundary between the 80s and 90s other than the obvious change in decade.

BD and Cadets both have won 5 in 10 years (BD did it twice). BD even did the 5 in 7 thing. They just didn't fall in a specific decade.

Not trying to take anything away from what the Cavaliers have done since 2000, but success like that isn't really new

Okay, that's a good point . . . I think the record is stronger than the Cadets, mostly because whenever they Cavaliers weren't winning, they were busy almost winning (or at least doing their damnedest to keep other corps from almost winning).

I would say that each corps definitely has their areas of chronological dominance, some slightly stronger than others. In any case, 11-9-7 - it can be looked at that way, too. Which is valid. At least, when we're referring to the DCI era.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for the big 3.

On the junior corps side, I'd have to say the emergence of Bluecoats as a perennial top-5 contender, and a 4th place finish this year. Cavaliers winning is not news to me! A perennial "top corps" finishing in 5th isn't all that newsworthy to me either, since being 5th in DCI is being a "top corps." For me personally, the resurrection of Marguerite and the team from Rockford's finals performance is enough to keep me satisfied until June 2007.

On the all-age side, the Bushwackers celebrated 25 years of excellence, the Buccaneers extended their undefeated streak to two full championship seasons and there have been many announcements of new corps forming.

It's been a great year for drum corps!

Okay, that's a good point . . . I think the record is stronger than the Cadets, mostly because whenever they Cavaliers weren't winning, they were busy almost winning (or at least doing their damnedest to keep other corps from almost winning).

i have to ask... why should the goal of a drum corps be to "win" or "almost win" or "keep other corps from winning" when the members themselves have so little control over who actually wins?

i guess the real question is this: who cares how many titles the cadets and cavaliers have won?

i guess the real question is this: who cares how many titles the cadets and cavaliers have won?

com·pe·ti·tion [ kòmpə tísh'n ]

noun

Definition:

1. process of trying to beat others: the process of trying to win or do better than others

Notable: (in no particular order)

1. Bluecoats showed they have the organization to win a title soon.

2. SCV proved they have the mettle to not settle for "middle of the pack"

3. Division one continues to slowly grow in number of corps.

4. The Crossmen's move to Texas. I'd like to see them lose the image of being the red-headed stepchild of "YEA".

5. The return of Blue Star to finals seems immenent.

6. DCI in Indy for 10 years will give more stabilization to corps' ability to travel. How many D2 and D3 corps went inactive because DCI Championships were in Boston or Pasadena, and they couldn't afford to make the coast-to-coast trip?

Dis-heartening

1. I know "local" kids no longer make up the heart of a drum corps, and that's ok, but it was part of what made my experience so great. (I still live within a short walk of the old Lancer Hall).

2. The number of division II and III corps going inactive is a sad thing. Here in Massachusetts where most high schools have inadequate music programs due to Proposition 2 1/2, a division 2 or 3 drum corps was the only way to gain enough musical experience to march in division 1.

Corps:

Bluecoats coming in 4th. First corps since Star to break into top 4. Before that you have to go to 1981 when 27th was 4th to have anyone outside of the big "SIX" in the top positions.

Blue Stars return to Div I in a big way.

Crossmen's move to Texas and eventual break from YEA.

DCI itself:

The contract and move to Indy (whether you're for it or not).

ESPN for the second year. Interesting to see where this might lead in terms of other more mainstream commercial ventures.