Drum Corps and no band?

Piper

Just out of curiosity, how many people out there in Drum Corps land have ever marched DC without ever having played in a band?

That's an interesting question. I would be willing to bet that those that have not are from years ago as I have heard many "oldtimers" talk about how the old local corps were full of local kids "off the streets". I don't mean that in a negative way.

I'm willing to bet that this number is nowhere near as high as it was in the 70s and 80s.

I had never touched a brass instrument until I marched corps

(but I had played clarinet starting in 5th grade so I guess I don't count.)

I never marched in band. But then, I was a guard gal too!

I tried all my three years to get our band to start a color guard. They didn't see a need for one. The year after I graduated, they started a "tall flag corps." :worthy:

I did play viola all through my school years, starting with 4th grade. What's intersting though is, even though I had all that exposure to music by being in the orchestra, the most memorable classic pieces I heard came from my exposure to drum corps.

Edited by Marianne

I marched corps before I marched band only for one year. Then I got in the Varsity football team, because well I didn't like band compared to corps.

But i stil follow the hs band, I help out like kinda volunteer visual staff. So i would go to competitions, not games since I was playing on the field.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam

we were just talking about this at work (yes there are DC guys where I work!)

how back in the 70's and into the very early 80's many corps people were almost indignant about the fact that Corps is NOT band!! therefore bandos marched in band and studied music... and corps people did well... corps!! Hell a lot of people could not read music!

I believe that changed drastically in the early 80's as most of the people I marched with studied music, played in the school band/Orchestra/wind ensemble/marching band and took their music very seriously...

even now in the whole alumni corps thing we have some older folks who are actually pretty good players who just can't read music. It's just a product of the way DC was 30 years ago...