Drum Corps Diet

I wouldnt worry so much about maintaining a diet per say but do focus more on your exercise routine like try to run at least three times a week or something for more than 10 minutes (like 20 minutes) and build from there. That way, you won't get so winded in the first couple of months of drum corps. :)

Edited by sopchick_01

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really are wanting to diet, I'd suggest the men's fitness "Ab's Diet" book. It's not really a fad diet because it is only telling you how to eat and speed up your metabolism. It will do wonders, just not as fast as many people want. :lol:

I'm involved in 4 sports and I can safely say that working out makes spring training unbelievably beneficial on yourside.

The three things for a sexy six pack, nice @ $ $, and guns for holdin them dmn euphoniums:

-Go to the gym for one hour a day.

-Eat and Drink Appropriately.

Gym Routine;

1) Stretch

You do nothing if you don't open the myosin in those muscles to allow oxygen to better allow your protein actin to rush blood to developing areas.

This also decreases your pain with sores with introducing yourself to the gym.

Not stretching increases your chance of fatigue as less surface area of your muscle fibers can absorb oxygen. If you take biology you'll know that the more oxygen you expose to worked areas will cause less sores. Sores are caused from low oxygen absorption rate, your body will begin to use carbon dioxide. Through fermentation, you'll create lactic acid which will cause sores to appear.

2) Run

If you have some weight on your body, running is the fastest method to lose that weight. If you have a lot of weight and would like to minimize it, run and eat less than your usual diet, but do not decrease your protein intake. Decreasing your protein intake does not slow your muscle development, and you need that muscle for stamina. Losing weight may give you loose skin, the best method to lessen this effect is drinking a lot of water as well as applying Vitamin E 100,000 UIS concentration on.

3) Abdominal Work

Abdominal Work and Exercises greatly benefit upper body control. 6 packs are a good thing, keg's are not. Make yourself look good in the uniform and for all the single ladies during rehearsals. These guys certainly aid your stamina in terms of movement. You keep hearing them say move from the center of the body? Yeah this is the area you want to focus on. Some excercises that seem to work: Pilates (very relaxing) and Just regular crunches. I recommend this website for those who really want a fast as in 8 minute method to great abdominals. (The efficiency of this workout is compensated for its difficulty, but nonetheless the results are fast). Abdominal Exercises - 8 minute Abs

4) Calf Muscles

For you straightleggers out there this can certainly benefit your back up techniques. When you're standing around, try balancing yourself on your platforms. Definitely try some stair masters out there to aid to this.

5) Milk. Milk. Milk. Milk. Milk. Milk. Milk. Protein. Milk, you work out and you don't have this filled in your diet, you are going to be quite dissappointed in your results.

For those with low knee integrity or who have had lower body injuries before:

Swim. Swim. Swim. Swim. You'll be 20 times less exhausted after run thru's compared to everyone else.

Running is quite bad for your knees, and you definitely don't want to wear them thinner at corps. Thus Swim.

:lol:

Nothing else really needs to be said after that last comment.

Edited by jm615

As far as book methods go, I'd recommend the Body for Life method by Bill Phillips. I learned about it from an interview that Ron Hardin did in a DCI magazine a few years ago and picked it up during my age-out year. Worked great- I lost 10 pounds before tour, 20 more during tour and almost NEVER got winded during running blocks.

Edited by Galen

I recommend this website for those who really want a fast as in 8 minute method to great abdominals. (The efficiency of this workout is compensated for its difficulty, but nonetheless the results are fast). Abdominal Exercises - 8 minute Abs

Man, that one hurts just READING about it!

I would also say avoid Atkins (and other fad diets) like the plague.

Atkins may help you lose weight, but the problem is that it takes out a good chunk of muscle mass along with it (not to mention sets you up for a good heart attack or 3 down the road).

Man, that one hurts just READING about it!

That's cus you gotta fatty dancin on your avatar.

I would also say avoid Atkins (and other fad diets) like the plague.

Atkins may help you lose weight, but the problem is that it takes out a good chunk of muscle mass along with it (not to mention sets you up for a good heart attack or 3 down the road).

Lose Weight by Dieting = Bad for Drum Corps, Low Stamina,

Lose Weight gain muscle = Good for your sex life and drum corps

Be fat = No... and Bad for drum corps!

You choose your fate. or should i say... you choose your fat.

HA what a pun!. what a pun!!! b**bs

Hi corps family! I thought this was a good idea. I want to prepare for the upcoming season by eating good food. What is the ultimate drum corps diet and morning routine? Like do you guys do pushups in the morning at home?

So on tour, I'm assuming it is kind of tough to provide stuff that isn't full of lots of preservatives, etc. Is the food "bad" while on tour? Do the kids end up gaining weight beause of the stuff they eat? It was sort of my assumption that kids would lose weight during a tour because of all the hard physical work they are doing all day.

So on tour, I'm assuming it is kind of tough to provide stuff that isn't full of lots of preservatives, etc. Is the food "bad" while on tour? Do the kids end up gaining weight beause of the stuff they eat? It was sort of my assumption that kids would lose weight during a tour because of all the hard physical work they are doing all day.

I presume corps eat better these days than back in the 70's. Our meals consisted of dry cereal (sometimes with milk if you were close enough to the front of the bus), tuna, bologna and cheese, and an occasional hot meal (usually pasta). We drank mainly bug juice (kool-aid) and water, when it was potable.

Today's shows, with a much higher physical demand, require more carbs. Ask your corps management staff what they recommend. The days of the overweight corps' members is over.

Also, try to find out from members of your corps what they do to prepare, and what to expect on the menu while on tour. (I used to keep an emergency jar of peanut butter in my duffel bag for the days when tuna -YUCK!- was served).