Calling all Mellophones

Winter sets in, and one looks for ways to improve ones sound. Last year I bought a Dyasty on eBay, and instantly fell in love with playing all over again. Difference between now and when I was playing many years ago, I have a few dollars to buy MORE horns..LOL...

So I ask ye brother and sister Mellophones (we all know we are in a fraternity of our own, but don't tell that to those squeaky sops - LOL), What is your experience with either, which do you like better, and for what reasons?

Of course my wife thinks I am crazy owning two horns now, but the other one is my original horn from my 78 DCI days in North Star, and there is no way I will part with that valve and rotary and all!

G or F??

For a G mellophone, my favorite is the Kanstul.

For an F Mellophone, the best is the Yamaha 204.

I also definately like Kanstul for G.

I just started playing on an F and it's a king. To be quite honest, I really, REALLY did not like the F AT FIRST, but playing next to this guy Paul who plays in Capital Brass and listening to the sound he produced on that horn, I had to stick with it and I'm getting used to it, but I can't compare it to any other brand, YET :) .

It's funny Rick what you said about your rotary valve because I have one from my Iggy days and then I have a two piston from my iggy days and now I play the F and G, but I can't play the F and then pick up the G and play. I get all screwed up!!!

Either way, G OR F, KANSTUL OR DYNASTY I LOVE THE MELLOPHONE (OR HORN :lol: )

I also definately like Kanstul for G.

I just started playing on an F and it's a king. To be quite honest, I really, REALLY did not like the F AT FIRST, but playing next to this guy Paul who plays in Capital Brass and listening to the sound he produced on that horn, I had to stick with it and I'm getting used to it, but I can't compare it to any other brand, YET :) .

It's funny Rick what you said about your rotary valve because I have one from my Iggy days and then I have a two piston from my iggy days and now I play the F and G, but I can't play the F and then pick up the G and play. I get all screwed up!!!

Either way, G OR F, KANSTUL OR DYNASTY I LOVE THE MELLOPHONE (OR HORN :lol: )

I like either one. I own a DEG, and played a season on the Kanstul. The biggest difference I found, was the upper register from A to high C went really flat on the Kanstul. If I wasn't careful the C would come out as a B. lol

G or F??

For a G mellophone, my favorite is the Kanstul.

For an F Mellophone, the best is the Yamaha 204.

What he said!

I like Kanstul in G, if I had to choose between just those two models. I personally like King in G too. Love the edgy sound.

In F, I love the Dynasty's we have at Bush. Good valve action, liquidy sound...without being too stuffy like (in my opinion) Yamahas.

I played both DEG and Kanstul for several years each, along with a well-used King (and a Whalley Royce back in the dark ages). All of these were G horns. I favor the Kanstul hands down - fine manufacturing quality, comfortable feel in the hands, easier to center on pitches, an all around satisfying product to own and play. I bought mine brand new and had the opportunity to pick it up at the factory in Anaheim while I was on a business trip to California. Zig Kanstul greeted me at the door and gave me a personal tour of the factory - one of my favorite drum corps memories.

I've only played on G's, and prefer the Kanstul. IMO, there isn't a mello out there regardless of era that slots well above the staff. Kanstul is at least playable in that range. I also like the pedal tones on the Kanstul. I had an opportunity to play on the early Kanstul model before they straightened out the third valve tubing, and didn't like it at all. Too many twists and turns in the tubing.

I prefer the Kanstul as well. I agree that it slots better throughout the range, and has great pedals. It does get flat above A (above the staff), but that can be navigated around as long as you're ready for it. My particular horn is extremely flat on high C, so that if it was sustained, the best way to play it in tune is to finger it 1, 2, 3. The horn, in general, though, seems to "match itself" better than the Dynasty when moving between registers - playing low vs. high and whatnot.

Kanstul on G without a doubt. Blows much better than the Dynasty, IMO.