Corps Names

<< I'm especially intersted in where the Bushwhackers' name came from! heh>>

I'm pretty certain that Mike Olszewski (founder/director of the corps - the old-timers will understand when I say that he was a unique individual, to say the least!) came up with the name. He was enamored with the idea of putting together a corps that would sneak up and take the senior corps world by surprise. Which is kind of what happened - 7th place in our first year on the field, and its been a pretty good run ever since.

Go Bush!

Fred O.

Bush '82 - '85, staff '89, '92 -'94

B-I-N-G-O! Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a winner! I remember Mike O. telling this story many times.....(make that) many, many times,.... (make that).....(Once Again, old-time Bush alumni know where this is going!) (make that)........ many,many,many,many times!

Don't me wrong... Mike's a great guy!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Barons drum & bugle corps were originally going to be an exhibition corps for the Bluefield Barons semi-pro football team to perform at all their home halftime shows. Later, upon further consideration, it was decided a change in colors was needed to distinguish ourseleves from the team. Coincidentally, the Bluefield Barons, in their two years of exsistance, went undefeated in all their regular season games; also winning the Alliance Football League championship games both years and being ranked 5th in the country this past year. The Barons drum & bugle corps hope to continue the winning traditions carried over from the football team's namesake.

P.S. Plans were made for the Bluefield Barons football team to become the new collegiate football team for Bluefield College in Bluefield, VA (nicknamed the Rams) late last year. Latest accounts (i.e. me talking to one of their players last week) say that they hope to start play for BC next semester, but it's not set in stone yet. So we may yet get to march at one of their halftime shows, lol.

Edited by I.R. Baritone