Corps Names

SoCal Dream was -- IIRC -- Originally supposed to be SoCal Dream Machine, but the machine part got dropped.

i think this was a name Garry Parker had for quite a while before the corps was actually founded.....he'd be better able to clarify.

You're close! The name was going to be Dream Machine. We dropped the Machine and added SoCal.

The name was going to be used for a junior corps we were dreaming about around 1977 or so. We had a logo and everything. "We" is me and Dan Zeilinger, co-founder of Impulse and director of the new VK.

We even took a trip one day over to Yamaha's musical instruments division in Buena Park, CA, to see if they'd be interested in making marching drums. Seems they weren't interested at the time, but we must have lit a fire.

But the name Dream Machine wasn't our creation. There used to be a restaurant in Orange, CA, that went by that name. They prided themselves on changing the menu nightly, each night with a different theme. They would also concoct any dish on request, providing they had the ingredients on-site. Must have been a heck of a pantry!

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're close! The name was going to be Dream Machine. We dropped the Machine and added SoCal.

The name was going to be used for a junior corps we were dreaming about around 1977 or so. We had a logo and everything. "We" is me and Dan Zeilinger, co-founder of Impulse and director of the new VK.

We even took a trip one day over to Yamaha's musical instruments division in Buena Park, CA, to see if they'd be interested in making marching drums. Seems they weren't interested at the time, but we must have lit a fire.

But the name Dream Machine wasn't our creation. There used to be a restaurant in Orange, CA, that went by that name. They prided themselves on changing the menu nightly, each night with a different theme. They would also concoct any dish on request, providing they had the ingredients on-site. Must have been a heck of a pantry!

Garry in Vegas

Thanks, Garry....I WAS kinda close...5 year old memory and all..

I was going from 5 year old memories of Garry....

Good idea to go to the source, Sam. And those memories are almost 30 years on the name, as indicated in the response above.

Garry in Vegas

Don't remind me....when I wehn there for US fencing nationals in 01 I got royally lost trying to find 1) my hotel (thank you, Sac, for having TWO freeways called "I-80" that encircle the city....and both go in different directions...and 2) the venue so I could get my gear checked in early....and then finding numberd streets that intersected.....2nd street and 5th ave, for example....

Good thing I didn;t try to find the venue the day OF the event....I would've never made it before the close of check in.

Sam, if you ever go to a match in Phoenix, "streets" are on the east side, and "avenues" are on the west! Central is the east/west divider, and Adams is the north/south divider. After that, it's easy!

Garry in Vegas

As for the Buccaneers. Back in the 50's when they were formed, there was nothing but farmland around Reading, PA.

It was a horrible year for farmers, all the crops were bad that year and so the corps name was picked to commemorate a record price for corn....

Ouch! Well, someone had to say it.

As for the Buccaneers. Back in the 50's when they were formed, there was nothing but farmland around Reading, PA.

It was a horrible year for farmers, all the crops were bad that year and so the corps name was picked to commemorate a record price for corn....

Ouch! Well, someone had to say it.

Man....don;t forget to pay rondo his residual for that one!

Sam, if you ever go to a match in Phoenix, "streets" are on the east side, and "avenues" are on the west! Central is the east/west divider, and Adams is the north/south divider. After that, it's easy!

Garry in Vegas

Actually, I vendored at a 2 day collegiate torney at ASU last Jauary....but I was working all freakin' day and never had a chance to drive around town (since the host hotel was across from the college and when I went to dinner each night I was taken out by SoCal Dream memebr, art Hood, who lives in the area).

now Berkeley and San Fran I could use some info about...same college tourney end of this month, but I'm having a biz meeting with one of teh major fencing vendors in the area about carruing some of my own gear, then out to Concrd to pay my respects to Mars.

Personally, I've always wanted to know how the Snapettes D&BC got their name. ;)

VERY interesting. I had NO idea Renegades came from the Shockwave "organization", and I use the term loosely. I remember that from SEVERAL years ago.

There were two Conquistador groups. One was the South San Francisco Conquistadors, where if you recall in 1987 VK's show we had the "bikini girl", it was the SF Conquistadors where she marched previous.

And then there was the Conquistadors down here, originally began as a youth band, then switched to a senior corps. Tim McElerney was the director, and I was at their first "staff meeting" to get things rolling as the senior corps. Unfortunately it didn't get off the ground. Tim and I ended up on the same board of directors with Impulse.

Funny this world of drum corps, eh?