Lord of the Rings

Never thought I'd chime in on this topic as I could not care any less about the movie and am only familiar with the symphonic work. However, I was just poking around at Corps reps and Southern Aurora is doing a Lord of the Rings show. Is this not what you guys are discussing?

Link to page

that looks like the one

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put this music on a football field, it had better be a fantastic arrangement and performance. Otherwise it will completely go down the tubes.

Shore's music is masterful, but you'd better do it justice.

Which is also pretty sweet.

and possible better suited to the field than the soundtracks for the movies

Oh yeah. The soundtracks are great for what they are, but just don't seem right for the field. de Meij's work would be incredible for a SCV or Phantom, though.

I would be more than happy to never see this music ever put on a football field.

w/Stp:

I believe movie soundtracks are just as they are meant to be. for the Movies, not on a field. The music compliments the movie.

I would be more than happy to never see this music ever put on a football field.

Why?

If you put this music on a football field, it had better be a fantastic arrangement and performance. Otherwise it will completely go down the tubes.

Shore's music is masterful, but you'd better do it justice.

So the music of Shostakovich and the like are OK for the field by Shore is too "masterful?"

I don't think there are too many corps putting crap on the field.

w/Stp:

I believe movie soundtracks are just as they are meant to be. for the Movies, not on a field. The music compliments the movie.

i've always been intrigued by soundtracks for drumcorps or marching band applications, just because they're designed to compliment a visual medium... maybe its just me but i think some of them could and do work (and many dont), though i'm not sure about shores arrangement, it doesnt quite sound like something that could work but who knows.

w/Stp:

A lot of great corps shows have included "movie music." Just think of PR '93, Blue Devils '00 and '06, and "On the Waterfront" (Cadets '86, SCV '97). It s a fairly ignorant statement, anyway ... that the music isn't "meant for the field." If that were the case, well ... isn't orchestral music meant for the concert hall? Isn't Broadway music meant for the theater (... not to mention "Carmen," "Candide," "Porgy and Bess" and other operas)? Rock and jazz certainly aren't generally "meant" to be played by a 64+ member hornline. See what I mean?

Is that because you love it or because you hate it?

Personally, I think the music is fantastic. It's not one of the world's greatest masterpieces, but it's well-written and it's enjoyable to listen to on it's own terms (i.e. not just as accompaniment for the film). Better than some of the concert band music that corps loved playing so much a few years back. It'd easily make a fine show ... especially since the arranger could chose the best 11 1/2 minutes from hours & hours of music. One plus is that there are a lot of different themes, each of them pretty good, unlike a lot of movie soundtracks which tend to be a series of variations on just a couple of different melodies.

As for the de Meij "LotR Symphony," I've always felt it was pretty over-rated. Like with Holsinger and all those guys, it's one of those things that we band geeks kind of like because we've played it in school, but there's really not a lot to recommend it. I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but a lot of that stuff that is written for HS and college wind bands ... well, I'm not a music major type myself, so I don't know the correct terminology, but it always seems to be lacking something in terms of sophistication. It's fun enough to play, but when you actually sit and listen to it, sometimes it seems more like educational exercises than something that' meant to be entertaining. Does that make any sense? :unsure: