Retention

Just curious about what has worked for different corps as far as keeping the members that they recruit each year. I thought this might be helpful for new programs as well. Many corps see a lot of people come through the doors as prospects, but then lose them along the way before the season starts.

I know for the Bucs, the most important thing is for us to present a well run program from Day 1. A LOT of work happens behind the scenes to make sure that Membership Day runs without a hitch.

Another thing that we take the time to do is to stay in touch with the membership, new & returning, in between camps. The goal is to keep them excited about the corps and to make sure they have everything they need to feel comfortable about being involved with the corps.

A lot of new members share with me later on in the season how intimidated they felt when they first walked through the door. We do what we can to make them feel at home, but for a younger prospect, there is usually a lot of stress about "being good enough" or not knowing many other members that all seem to be so close. I think it is crucial to deal with this as most of them will not tell you about these feelings right away.

I think one of the trickier things for everybody is to try to get members that are brand new to drum corps excited about what they usually are doing very early on (i.e basic music & movement technique) without having very much of the show in their hands. They haven't experienced what the season is like, so it is hard to sell them on the payoff sometimes.

Share other situations that have come up in your recruiting/retention efforts. We all benefit from all DCA corps having more members.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Chops, we try to schedule things during the camp that, though they don't force it, they lend themselves to vets interacting with the new members. Provided lunches, ensuring that new members aren't off in a corner by themselves.

As we go alittle bit later into the winter rehearsal schedule and move to overnights, we schedule bonding events. Last year we did dodgeball at one camp (horn players payed for that the next day), and kickball/wiffle ball at another (one of our brass staff paid for that with a toe injury). All of these provide the atmosphere of family that we try to instill from day one.

I guess overall we just try to make them feel that they are already part of us. A new part of us, but that they will always be part of us.

Bob

Good points, Danny. Here's some more....

communicate, communicate, and communicate.

know the answers to their questions, and if not, know exactly where you can get it for them.

No one stands, sits, walks, or eats alone, at least for the open house or initial camps.

and remember that although everyone is replaceable, no one should be disposable. Even if a person decides they can't make the committment now, something might change later, if not later in the program season, then maybe next year. And if nothing else, an overall positive experience before, during and after their exposure to your organization can turn them into fans and potential sources of new members.

From the new guy perspective, if this helps.....

This weekend was my first Crusader camp, and the things that impressed me and play a part in my decision to march were:

1. The instructional staff knowing their job, keeping a good discipline in rehearsal but having a genuine respect for their members.

2. Vets making me feel like part of the family from day 1.

3. A good upbeat vibe around the whole corps, members, staff and directors.

4. Great music. Folks of the age that join DCA corps want shows they can sink their teeth into. Playing for the crowd also plays to the new prospects.

Just my 2 cents.

Here are a few other things that we do at Bucs.

During our winter camps we interview all of our members, both vets and new. We start with the vets.

We ask what was good about last year, and what can we as an administration do better. The answers we get are sometimes very enlightening and we've gotten very good feedback on the good and the not so good.

When we interview the new members, we reinforce the corps philosophy and work ethic, as well as calming any of their fears about being a member.

As someone posted previously, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE COMMUNICATION.

Lois

From the new guy perspective, if this helps.....

This weekend was my first Crusader camp, and the things that impressed me and play a part in my decision to march were:

1. The instructional staff knowing their job, keeping a good discipline in rehearsal but having a genuine respect for their members.

2. Vets making me feel like part of the family from day 1.

3. A good upbeat vibe around the whole corps, members, staff and directors.

4. Great music. Folks of the age that join DCA corps want shows they can sink their teeth into. Playing for the crowd also plays to the new prospects.

Just my 2 cents.

That's a lot more than 2 cents, my friend. That's DRUM CORPS'!!!! If they make you feel like Family then you've found a home. :)

Things I like at camp:

- A social event after camp, that way I can be serious at camp, knowing that after camp, I can be not serious.

- A rehearsal short enough that I don't kill or try to kill myself trying to drive home afterwards

- A rehearsal long enough that I don't spend more time driving than at rehearsal

- A food break long enough to get food and eat it without being late returning to rehearsal

- A clear focus and agenda for a given rehearsal

- An honest and complete initial exposure to the costs and schedule for the entire season at the start of the season

- Dedicated instructors, that are only instructors/management in front of the corps

- Having pictures to go with the names of the senior staff members before going to your first rehearsal for a given corps.

Things I don't like at camp:

- A schedule that gets made up on the fly as the day progresses.

- Spending all of a single camp on just marching, without any ensemble or music time.

- Veteran members showing up late if at all (yes, I'm guilty of this myself)

- A long term schedule that changes daily, if it's even made public before the event(s) have passed

- A dues requirement, then later on being informed that the uniform is extra, the corps provided transportation to events is extra, the corps provided lodging is extra, there's a labor requirement that must be satisfied by either labor or excessive extra

- Long bus rides without breaks for food and otherwise skipping meals in the interest of time management

- Stopping only at McDonalds at every food stop while in transit between every out of state mini-tour

- Scheduled performances where 10% or more of the membership is not in attendance.

- Parades where 50% or more the corps is not in attendance. Especially if it includes 100% of an entire section of the corps.

- Having multiple uniforms, and never knowing which to bring when going to any given performance.

- Instruction via current/active members only. While there's many amazing drum majors, they shouldn't be the only instructor who wasn't written an active spot in the drill.

Just a small sampling of things.

One way to lose members real fast is to be disorganized. Nothing worse than having rehearsal for 8 hours and your standing around doing nothing because your staff is arguing about ######## crap that should have been taken care of a long time ago. Members show up ready to go, ready to rehearse and if they feel it's a waste of time, they will walk. Remember, the members are paying for this activity. They can do nothing on there own time.

One way to lose members real fast is to be disorganized. Nothing worse than having rehearsal for 8 hours and your standing around doing nothing because your staff is arguing about ######## crap that should have been taken care of a long time ago. Members show up ready to go, ready to rehearse and if they feel it's a waste of time, they will walk. Remember, the members are paying for this activity. They can do nothing on there own time.

:laugh:

either i'm channeling you or you're channeling me. because word for word that is almost exactly what i said to someone last evening. :laugh:

hey dan, i know when i was with bucs we made sure that the whole group had fun and a great time when we were there. it was a nice blend of fun and then hard work. i think that is what helped us keep most of our colorguard people a couple years ago.