Hrothgar's DCI Wakeup Topic

As you may have heard before, I wake up each and every morning to drum corps. Insteading waking up to a blaring alarm, running out of bed to turn it off, and then falling back to sleep, I am awoken by a blast of brass or percussion, and I stay in bed for eleven-and-a-half minutes, basking my ears in glorious sounds, and by then, I am fully woken up and ready to start my day. Unfortunately, I have that show stuck in my head for the rest of the day, but I guess that's not such a bad thing after all. In this thread, I will describe the thoughts that came to my mind while listening to these shows.

January 9, 2007- Bluecoats 2006

The sound of this ensemble is just unreal. I also think that this show was one of the best musical books of the entire year...combine the two for an amazing combination. Really, I can't really pick a favorite piece in the show because it's all so incredible. Basically, an amazing brassline playing some amazing music, with some great licks and phat chords. B) The closer should have been a tad more exciting, though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a way for you to share your opinions without having to hear others opinions?

Your strange...

I fear he's serious. And even more so, I fear he intends to tell us about it daily. Also, if you don't mind my observation, shouldnt someone who perfers how drum corps used to be and all that, wake up to something more old school?

Wait, what? 2006 is one of the best DCI years ever. Besides, Bluecoats 2006 is drum corps how it used to be, and amazing show at that. :)

The closer should have been a tad more exciting, though.

agreed. definitely my biggest beef with that show.

and i actually kind of like your idea, especially if it spawns new discussion about shows that are talked about far less frequently than the usuals. a thread by jared_mello comes to mind on phantom 91. good stuff.

Wait, what? 2006 is one of the best DCI years ever. Besides, Bluecoats 2006 is drum corps how it used to be, and amazing show at that. :)

Oh, Hroth. I can never figure you out. I've decided you don't know what you really want. :P Enjoy your wake ups, I just don't know if we all need a daily update.

I didn't think it was a horrible thread to start. I like having discussions about random shows a lot more than I like hearing complaints about the same issues in DCI over and over again. Gets people into new shows, gives recognition to shows that dont really get discussed anymore, and lets people talk about what they know rather than talking about rumors and things like that.

I've heard the same thing about the Bluecoats closer as well....it seems that they prioritized emotion design-wise in the closer rather than new musical ideas, etc.. I'm a fan of reprises and all, but I think I prefer them to be shorter than a full piece of the show.

I didn't think it was a horrible thread to start. I like having discussions about random shows a lot more than I like hearing complaints about the same issues in DCI over and over again. Gets people into new shows, gives recognition to shows that dont really get discussed anymore, and lets people talk about what they know rather than talking about rumors and things like that.

I've heard the same thing about the Bluecoats closer as well....it seems that they prioritized emotion design-wise in the closer rather than new musical ideas, etc.. I'm a fan of reprises and all, but I think I prefer them to be shorter than a full piece of the show.

Though you have to admit, the dozens of "connection" and "heart" motifs you can spot throughout the show (the elastic bands, the cardiogram, the "breathing," the duets, the overall visual and musical design, etc.) is just GENIUS. Really puts the finishing touch on in a masterful way. :laugh:

Edited by Hrothgar15