Hrothgar's DCI Wakeup Topic

Ummm...

i think he was referencing borat?

I know...in a humourous way since the post he was replying to had one of those errors.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know...in a humourous way since the post he was replying to had one of those errors.

In Kazakhstan...ehh...the sixth-most famous persons is Dinara Tuyakbay, who can plays baritone bugle with vazhin. Very nice! I like!

I haven't laughed out loud reading DCP in quite some time. Well done.

my bad, didn't catch the mistake in the first post.

thought you were just an old dude who didn't know his pop culture

Haha, thanks man, I'm 25! :P

Actually, I started watching the Ali G show long before it, or Borat, became pop culture.

Best DCI song to wake up to : 83 Madison Strawberry Soup

I haven't laughed out loud reading DCP in quite some time. Well done.

Wow.....its crazy that while scrolling down the posts, the exact same thing happened to me. I chuckled at Hrothgar's post, and after being surprised since I never really laugh at DCP (and I really doubt anyone really spits soda or anything on their monitors/keyboards.....cmon, now) was quite glad to see that you posted exactly what I thought, right as I was up to reading it.

Oh and I laughed out loud at Galen's post on the first page, too.

Though you have to admit, the dozens of "connection" and "heart" motifs you can spot throughout the show (the elastic bands, the cardiogram, the "breathing," the duets, the overall visual and musical design, etc.) is just GENIUS. Really puts the finishing touch on in a masterful way. :worthy:

No worries....I liked the show too. :)

(although I can't help but be curious how it would compare brass-wise to 2005, if the CDs were the same quality...volume-wise, as far as ensemble sound goes....its kind of frustrating to not be able to accurately compare the two as I'd like)

2006 Bluecoats, good show, I loved a lot of the features. Particularly the trumpet and percussion feature. It had a very nice and enjoyable ballad. I felt as an audience member, that the corps had an amazing summer and were very close to each other. Maybe that was the intended effect? If not, I certainly got their point across with the whole, bonding and connection motif.

Brass wise, I thought they did a great job as well, sometimes there are little over expositions of the high brass over powering the alto voices and visa versa. I felt some of the backfield material was great but weren't exactly close enough to the back sideline to project and explore as much spatial orchestration that the Stadium Provides. Other wise, the book was written quite well, though I felt that again, the spatial orchestration of where each horn player is kind of took parts of the show away.

To say the least, you can definitely tell when watching finals that the corps was having its show of the season, and at least to me, that definitely always adds emotion to the watching/listening of a drum corps performance. It's up there with many shows of the past that you can tell "clicked" and had an "on-night" on Saturday. The ballad impact was definitely a "moment" once that final chord was reached.....one of my two favorite ballads of the year (along with the Colts).

Alto voices = part of the high brass. The "over expositions" line confused me, too.

By "spatial orchestration" are you referring to big intervals in the drill, or filling up the stadium with sound in backfield sections, or where the horns were located on the field during impact moments.......I don't think I understood what you were referring to.

Whoever it was that suggested the trial version of Awaken, I'd just like to say thanks; I downloaded it and liked it a lot. I'm considering buying it, since it was really nice to have on my computer.

(and I really doubt anyone really spits soda or anything on their monitors/keyboards.....cmon, now)

:worthy:

Wednesday, January 10, 2007: Phantom Regiment 1994

Wow. Underrated much? This is isn't a Phantom show that people usually mention as one of their "best," but I think that's only because some of their other shows are so :laugh: (and yes, that's an adjective). It's one of my favorites, but I don't think it had that extra "oomph" to put it over shows like 1989, 1993, and 1996. By far the best part of this show is the ballad, from Claire de Lune, and it's possibly one of the most beautiful pieces played in DCI. The opener is great as well, with some amazing brass moments, and really sets the stage for the show. I'm not sure that I can say the remaining selections are some of my favorite Phantom charts, but there's some great, great stuff in there nonetheless. It just seems to me that the pacing of the show is a little off. I also think it would have been more effective to choose a different piece than "Death Hunt" as the closer, as I don't see the purpose of connecting the show to the unreleated 1993 show. Then again, the music did fit into the grand scheme of things, and on whole, an extremely great Phantom Regiment show that is a joy to listen to and is hardly ever mentioned.

Edited by Hrothgar15

What's wrong with loving drum corps but not marching?

Seriously, I respect Hrothgar's level of support for the activity...I feel edged out a little bit, for what it's worth! :)

For you and Hrothgar, I was just referring to the traditional wake up while on tour or at camps - "Good Morning (fill in your corps name here...)" It looked like he missed the reference.

Nothing wrong with loving it and never marching. In Hrothgar's case I think he'd love it and learn a lot.