Cavaliers 2007

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I wonder if people really know Billy Joel's music. It's not all Uptown Girl and We Didn't Start the Fire, and other cheesy music like that. Dig further, much further, into the past, and you'll find some good music. Plus, he's written some nice classical piano music, so we'll see....

I'm thinking I'll love this show.

As I said in another post, the piano music was specificly referred to in the press release. I think it will not be what many are expecting.

Not that cavies really need another title (turning into the Yankees of drum corps here) but there is alot of Billy Joel music the average person has probably never heard. He has done classical piano works as well as some more modern works, no lyrics, just instrumental works.

I am sure the Cavies will surprise us all.

I have all those "classical piano" albums by B. Joel and I think it would be great to use. But, the only problem I am having...is why use Billy Joel as your inspiration and not play his "classics" not his "classicals". 007 was a great show, but I felt there are sooooooo many good James Bond Theme Concepts that they did not include...especially "Live and Let Die" besides being played in the pit for about 2 bars...it lacked the "James Bond" feel...it was more of a Latin joke of what Bond really is. I know I might be one of the few who are critical of the Cavies...but I am just not a fan of corps doing a name like if the Cadets did John Williams and didn't do his greats like "Jurassic Park", "Star Wars", "Cadillac of the Skies"...etc. Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm just ranting.....

I have all those "classical piano" albums by B. Joel and I think it would be great to use. But, the only problem I am having...is why use Billy Joel as your inspiration and not play his "classics" not his "classicals". 007 was a great show, but I felt there are sooooooo many good James Bond Theme Concepts that they did not include...especially "Live and Let Die" besides being played in the pit for about 2 bars...it lacked the "James Bond" feel...it was more of a Latin joke of what Bond really is. I know I might be one of the few who are critical of the Cavies...but I am just not a fan of corps doing a name like if the Cadets did John Williams and didn't do his greats like "Jurassic Park", "Star Wars", "Cadillac of the Skies"...etc. Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm just ranting.....

I don't see a show of either entirely classical piano music or a series of pop tunes.

I think it will be some of his classical piano pieces with a few favorite familiar pop melodies coming out here and there. I'm sure they'll make a nice mix of the two.

Think back to 2000. How many of us tried and failed to find substantial common ground between the Cavies score and the original Niagara Falls on which it was based? Or 007 in '04 - beyond the essential Bond theme, they didn't exactly take their score from the Bond tunes we know best.

Agree on the Bond show, but not Niagara Falls (though, to be fair, I know that piece better than the average bear).

...I think this is BD's year to win #12. Just my opinion, but Finals night will tell. B)

I've been hearing this ever since 2003 ended!!!! :drool:

No I completely disagree, because you get trite offerings like what Glassmen has been putting out the past 2 years. Granted, the Beethoven show was much worse than the Dvorak (which actually was quite creative, but I still don't like it). When they announced they were doing a Beethoven show, I was hoping they'd stay away from his overplayed symphonies (5 and 9), and tackle stuff like Corilolan Overture, his piano sonatas, etc etc. Basically music that hasn't become a staple of car and fast food commercials. But no, what did they do? Open the show with Beethoven's 5th and make Moonlight Sonata their ballad, no thanks. If a drum corps WAS going to play John Williams music (which in itself is already a travesty) I would hope they would go after his works like Schindler's List and his actual orchestral non-film music. If they actually started the show playing the opening theme from Star Wars, well I'd probably just vomit. It's so...marching band.

So basically, if the Cavaliers are going to do a Billy Joel show I really hope they aren't doing Uptown Girl and We Didn't Start The Fire unless they wanted to look like the biggest marching band ever. Of course, I'm pretty sure Saucedo and the rest of the design staff over there knows better than that.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

If a drum corps WAS going to play John Williams music (which in itself is already a travesty)

ahahahhahahah

I vote Harry Potter