DCA:All age all good

I don't know "Tapper's" age but that comment underscores what's wrong with "all age". 30-60 olds covorting with 13-21's just spells trouble.

I know I am in the minority here so I will put on the flame suit now.

Mike

:OT:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissenting opinions on the "History of Westshoremen" thread. Corps staff was very careful (OK they were scared crapless) when they opened the corps to a bunch of minors in 1974. Bunch of us minors during that time (ages 14-20) agree being with and being treated the same as over 21ers (with the exception of alcohol) was one of the best life lessons we received.

Not so Off Topic, IMO since we're discussing 'All Age'.... Having minors can lead to disaster if ruels are not set ahead of time and followed by all. The alcohol rule then boiled down to "If we catch you drinking, your ### is OUT!".

Oh yeah, I marched "Senior" corps when I was 16-22.

Ok since this turned out to be a ALL AGE corps discussion:

Im in favor of the ALL AGE activity and have been since I found out about DCA.

First off it gives smaller DCA corps the opportunity to fill out the line with local talent.MANY of the LARGER DCA corps also take advantage of this,,many times recruiting kids fresh off the DCI road to fill holes.

Secondly it gives the kids a option of marching.There are a lot of kids that simply cannot cut it in a DCI DIV 1 corps both financially and chop wise.

DCA gives kids a chance to keep summer jobs and some corps even offer scholarships for kids to go march DCI once they have marched in DCA.

All AGE is ALL GOOD

And in Westshoremens case in 1974, opening up to the under 21 crowd was the only way to get a defunct corps back on the field. When the corps went inactive end of 1972 season the people who still wanted to march went to other corps and a bunch just "retired".

####, we hit Top 10 in 1977-79 with a corps about half college aged and younger.

Ok since this turned out to be a ALL AGE corps discussion:

Im in favor of the ALL AGE activity and have been since I found out about DCA.

First off it gives smaller DCA corps the opportunity to fill out the line with local talent.MANY of the LARGER DCA corps also take advantage of this,,many times recruiting kids fresh off the DCI road to fill holes.

Secondly it gives the kids a option of marching.There are a lot of kids that simply cannot cut it in a DCI DIV 1 corps both financially and chop wise.

DCA gives kids a chance to keep summer jobs and some corps even offer scholarships for kids to go march DCI once they have marched in DCA.

All AGE is ALL GOOD

Ed, you have hit on some very good points that have faced the local D3 corps, and has kept them OFF the field for the second year in a row now here in Erie,..................so with that said, would it be a good or a bad idea (or even allowed for that matter) to have a former junior corps, with a 501c3, mission statement and fundraisng machine based on a youth activity, with a MAXIMUM age limit of 25 compete in the DCA weekend only contests,........................I ask this because in observing some of todays DCA compeditive units, you could take a dozen or so people out of the corps and call it a junior corps pretty easily,..................I know for certain this could have even applied to the Thunderbirds during our competing years in the 70's and early 80's,.............thoughts?

Society in general is obviously all-age; so, why not have all-age corps? Does mixing adolescents with adults have some risks? Certainly, but the benefits are immense.

Today's youth need all the good role models, structure and education we can offer ("Takes a village to raise a child."), and all-age corps does just that. It's symbiotic -- I pick up on their energy. Sometimes, a lazy youngster is encouraged by the persistence of adults working their butts off.

As already stated, all-age allows some corps to exist when it may not be possible or would be much smaller. I was in the Kilties when it was mostly all adult and was in again when the Mad Plaid had many more younger performers. I enjoyed both experiences and adjusted my behavior accordingly. I've enjoyed my all-age experences in several other corps. I've always felt it's a win-win.

Here's to the future. May we have many more corps of all ages.

Thank you Cozy.

I think some tend to oversimplify or try to create drama.

Adults and youths mix together all the time. I never see the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program (just one random examply) being lambasted for their mixing of adults and youths, and in activities that can be much more intimate than sharing a rehearsal field, tour bus, or gym floor. That program is designed to allow adults to be role models for youths, get them involved in life altering programs for development and help them become better adults than they would be otherwise.

Some would argue Drum Corps in general do this. DCI does it with a school like system (adults teaching the students), DCA does it with the same system, but also ties in the community aspect (adults teaching and performing with students)