DCA:All age all good

I'm also NOT in love with the idea.

Just one of the reasons that CB! is an "adult" corps. not an all-age corps.

As I stated previously, I see advantages to all-age corps, the mixing of generations. I also see why some performing groups want to be for adults only (or juniors only). They have a place, too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first got back into marching drum corps, my wife came to one of our summer drill camps. She arrived in time for our coordinated rehearsal with the guard, pit and battery. Later that evening she commented that she wasn't sure how she felt about me participating since there were a number of lovely young women in the guard and pit and since it was hot, clothing was a bit "sparse" shall we say.

I tried to comfort her with the plain fact that since we rehearse so much as sections, there isn't a lot of interaction and she could rest assured that the defininition of "invisible" is to be a 50 year old man in the midst of 20-somethings. I suppose there are exceptions, but we're just not on each other's radar screens. Besides, the relationship is more of a family.

When I first got back into marching drum corps, my wife came to one of our summer drill camps. She arrived in time for our coordinated rehearsal with the guard, pit and battery. Later that evening she commented that she wasn't sure how she felt about me participating since there were a number of lovely young women in the guard and pit and since it was hot, clothing was a bit "sparse" shall we say.

I tried to comfort her with the plain fact that since we rehearse so much as sections, there isn't a lot of interaction and she could rest assured that the defininition of "invisible" is to be a 50 year old man in the midst of 20-somethings. I suppose there are exceptions, but we're just not on each other's radar screens. Besides, the relationship is more of a family.

Good point. One of the things keeping me from going on the field again one last time, is all the young girls around and my wife's reaction.

I'm 53, gray, and overweight and we all know how sexy that can be :P

I echo retro guys' comment. Luckly, I just bought a new flame suit.

if the adults behave and the management stays on top of it, it's not an issue.

Ok since this turned out to be a ALL AGE corps discussion:

Im in favor of the ALL AGE activity and have been since I found out about DCA.

First off it gives smaller DCA corps the opportunity to fill out the line with local talent.MANY of the LARGER DCA corps also take advantage of this,,many times recruiting kids fresh off the DCI road to fill holes.

Secondly it gives the kids a option of marching.There are a lot of kids that simply cannot cut it in a DCI DIV 1 corps both financially and chop wise.

DCA gives kids a chance to keep summer jobs and some corps even offer scholarships for kids to go march DCI once they have marched in DCA.

All AGE is ALL GOOD

holy ####...Ed and i agree twice in one thread! :P

:worthy:

holy ####...Ed and i agree twice in one thread! :P

:worthy:

Don't go thinking we will be sharing spit in the shower. ^0^

30-60 olds covorting with 13-21's just spells trouble.

I'm 52 and I'm not planning on doing any cavorting. I do plan to be on the field with a group of talented people. I don't care how old they are and I hope I play well enough that they don't care how old I am.

I'm too old to cavort, anyway...

Don't go thinking we will be sharing spit in the shower. ^0^

no worries dude, i'll settle for a beer in the parking lot

So far in my All-age experience, any of the young people that we have had march with us either had a level of maturity way beyond their years, had marched jr. corps and could hold their own, or they had their parents along with them.

The few young people that we do have that need looking out for usually have an entire corps looking out for them. One thing about All-age corps, is that inevitably, there will be someone old enough to be their mom/dad...and act like it.