A Show Design/Concept Question

So here's the deal: your creative team has met and settled on the show concept for the upcoming year. You have agreed on specific musical selections to fully flesh out and support the concept. All parties concerned have started creating the show. From out of nowhere, a copyright clearance that you had is suddenly pulled out from under you. Do you:

A] scrap the show concept and start fresh with something new

or

B] find an alternate tune that would work without sacrificing too much in terms of the original concept

A former student has gotten himself a band job in the mid-Atlantic and has run into the above situation. I have faced the situation four times and have done the second option the majority of the time. Just curious to see if anyone has run into this and how they resolved it.

gil

I wrote a show like this once, the visual had already been written, etc. granted it was for marching band, but I found a suitable piece that would fit the same-it was a ballad-and arranged a new piece that used roughly the same count structure-which took some effort, but ti happened.

Cavies had to do this in the late 80's or early 90's. I think they wrote an "original composition" that was basically structured similarly.

'89 Cavaliers Gloria Show...

The middle section was to be something and it was changed to 'Images Diabolique'. I think the original title had the word Garden in it...

'89 Cavaliers Gloria Show...

The middle section was to be something and it was changed to 'Images Diabolique'. I think the original title had the word Garden in it...

They were going to use David Maslanka's, A Child's Garden of Dreams.