Scouts 07 Drumline

MJN

I was at Scout's camp today. I watched the battery play from 9-5 b**bs . First off the staff is great. The atmosphere was positive and very encouraging. I watched mostly the snare sectional and then about 2 hours of ensemble. Mitch Casados is the snare tech. He march VK 95 and then BD(was section leader in 99). Roger Carter is one intense dude, and arranges some great parts. OK here it is:

8 snares - 8 rookies

5 tenors -4 rookies

5 basses - 5 rookies

the opener is Kashmir - the section leader is in his ageout year after marching a few years with Southwind and Cap. Sound before that. With so much turnover, and a new staff, basics were being reviewed (arm angles, finger placement, stick heights, fulcrum etc.)

The book is really good. There is a lot of notes and a lot of hard exposed parts. There was one part that was really cool that was like a simulated accelerando with a single stroke seven that started off the beat. There is a drum break too, no pit - just drums, which will be very nice when clean.

The line itself seems to have a lot of talent and potential, and a good attitude. Nobody said a word during rehearsal. The playing itself was mixed - they had their moments - both good and bad. Hey, it's January. Being a huge Scouts fan, I was a little nervous about how things would be going,with all the turnover, but I left very encouraged and really wanting to hear the opener with the horns. I did see the pit set up but not playing, no cymbal line that I saw, and I didn't hear the horns :( . Anyways, it was really fun to watch.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^OO^

Thanks for the great report, MJN... and the fact that you were THERE makes the facts irrefutable, unless someone else who was

THERE has a different point of view...

That's a lot of rookies to the drum line, but that could work in their favor as well. Any word or knowledge of how many of the

snares or tenors came in with Roger? My point is that wherever last years Madison snare line went ( :doh: ) that would make them all

rookies to THAT corps, wouldn't it? Yes it would...

Thank you.

Edited by GGarrett

^OO^

Thanks for the great report, MJN... and the fact that you were THERE makes the facts irrefutable, unless someone else who was

That's a lot of rookies to the drum line, but that could work in their favor as well.

Thank you.

No problem

MJN

How are you defining rookie? 1st year marching drum corps or 1st year marching Scouts?

As for Kashmir...I assume your talking Led Zeplin?

Thanks for the report.

Yes - Zeplin

and sorry, rookie is 1st year marching Scouts

^OO^

That's a lot of rookies to the drum line, but that could work in their favor as well. Any word or knowledge of how many of the

snares or tenors came in with Roger? My point is that wherever last years Madison snare line went ( :doh: ) that would make them all

rookies to THAT corps, wouldn't it? Yes it would...

Thank you.

There is one snare that came from Cal. - I think he marched Blue Devils B (Spanos told me), and one of the snare guys that I know said that one of the tenors was cut from BD and Regiment, but I'm not sure if he came with Roger. Mitch's(snare tech) younger brother is on snare.