Northern Lights

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember talking to Randy at DATR. I knew Randy from his days working with VK. He told me then that they wanted to morph the youth band into a drum corps. (I don't know what would have happened to the WW players at that point. Hopefully they would have provided another outlet for them.)

I saw the band at DATR in 99. (Considering Ben's comments above, they were pretty darn good.) And I waited for the drum corps to come out, the successor, finally, to the Marauders, but it never came. Then I heard about Randy's passing, and knew the dream of a NL drum corps probably died with him.

Garry in Vegas

As far as I know, The Northern Lights D&B Corps (WA) never had a competing corps. This is why Randy & Jim Baierl took over their non-profit to start the bingo for the Every-Body Winterguards. Why no one ever changed the mission statement of the Northern Lights to not be "Drum & Bugle" I do not know.

As far as I know, The Northern Lights D&B Corps (WA) never had a competing corps. This is why Randy & Jim Baierl took over their non-profit to start the bingo for the Every-Body Winterguards. Why no one ever changed the mission statement of the Northern Lights to not be "Drum & Bugle" I do not know.

These are my thoughts as well... I knew some people involved with a Northern Lights Winterguard, but never heard anything about a corps.

Just to add more confusion...I *swear* there was a drum corps named the Northen Lights either from SE Michigan or near Toledo, OH. It came to a band show in early September to the Cleveland area, in 1980 or 1981...the two years I was in high school marching band.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talkin' about?

I saw the band at DATR in 99. (Considering Ben's comments above, they were pretty darn good.) And I waited for the drum corps to come out, the successor, finally, to the Marauders, but it never came. Then I heard about Randy's passing, and knew the dream of a NL drum corps probably died with him.

Garry in Vegas

Hey thanks! I'm glad we weren't totally unappreciated. If you had seen us in 97 and 98 you'd understand where I am coming from.

We had many instructors who are major players in the NW drum corps and Marching Band scene. Mike Anderson, Todd Zimbleman, Lewis Norfleet, Richard Kibbey, Bob Yeager, Mike Apodoca, Mike Freel, Greg Hall, Steve Kuske, Tim Wells, Bret Cappelutti, Kurt Jull and many others.

Wow, I know a lot of those people and I've been taught by three of them. Crazy.

Just to add more confusion...I *swear* there was a drum corps named the Northen Lights either from SE Michigan or near Toledo, OH. It came to a band show in early September to the Cleveland area, in 1980 or 1981...the two years I was in high school marching band.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talkin' about?

I think you are talking about the Northernlites, a junior feeder corps to the Northernaires both from Menominee, MI.

Corpsreps.com has an entry for the Northernaires but nothing for the Northernlites.

There is a passing reference to the Northernlites on the Northernaires web site.

Must... make.... entry... in... Drum Corps Wiki.

• 13 years later...

To answer the question - yes, there was a Northern Lights Drum and Bugle Corps that competed in Drum Corps West events. That rendition of Northern Lights lasted two seasons: 1990 and 1991 and was based out of Auburn, WA (or Des Moines, WA). I marched in our final season - 1991. We were a very small corps, 20 members. Competitive? I recall that we finished 2nd at one show,. that was an outlier! There is a video on YouTube showing one of our practice sessions (I'm the one slinging cymbals) and in the comments it gives one of the likely scores. The corps I remember were Seattle Cascades, Spartans, and Marauders. From what I have read, Northern Lights was shut down for a year and then moved down to Longview. I don't remember anything about it after 1991.

(correction - Northern Lights last competitive season was 1991. We held sectionals and camps in 1992 but did not tour. That must have been the end before someone else took over.)

Edited by Harier

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2007 at 6:50 PM, ravedodger said:

The story is a shame. I remember that corps on tour. Not bad at all and very small and it was before the bingo operation. I think they even wore Dickies kackie pants.

Yes, NL wore khaki pants - and khaki shirts.