Hopkins will push for trombones next

Those things are hilarious, and the fact that they were only used for half a season and there is a pic, amazing

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they were called "Tromboniums" ... not quite as controversial back then. But Madison scrap'd em 1/2 way through the season.

What was so bad about them? I'm all for experimentation in bell-front brass instrumentation. I love what the Blue Devils tried with the Meehaphones in the late eighties...corps should try that stuff now. Maybe a whole section of piccolo trumpets, or bass trumpets, or fluegelhorns, or altophones, or valve trombones... Screw woodwinds, vocals, and electronics...you can experiment with something the activity is actually about.

well basically I heard from a few that played 'em that umm... they sucked. Guess you have to ask a horn player that played one why... :lol:

In that pic is Dave Ramthun... all the way on the right side as you look at it. Great baritone soloist and member 1975-1982, as well as MSARP,

where he and his brother Mark played the solo in Malaguena together. Pretty cool...

What was so bad about them? I'm all for experimentation in bell-front brass instrumentation. I love what the Blue Devils tried with the Meehaphones in the late eighties...corps should try that stuff now. Maybe a whole section of piccolo trumpets, or bass trumpets, or fluegelhorns, or altophones, or valve trombones... Screw woodwinds, vocals, and electronics...you can experiment with something the activity is actually about.

I agree with you 100% ... the next great brass instrument sound could be something not yet tried, or tried in the past but not recently.

:lol::lol:

I actually agree with you more than you think... I just don't say anything when I do.

Edited by GGarrett

I like our version better, you can get killed doing it as fast as ^that heh(as the one on the left almost demonstrated)

Holy crap. My band director would have never allowed us to do anything like that...actually, anything that involved using instruments other than to make music. Lucky...