1988 finals awards ceremony

Hey all, I hate to bring back a topic that's been dead for almost a year and a half... I still have never seen the video and there are multiple members/alumni who would really like to see the video. Could anybody help out?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there live. My last year involved in the activity.

I was calling people after semi's saying that I thought Madison had won. I think BD was more refined or smooth. Madison brought loads more excitement and energy.

I vaguely remember the crowd reaction as being pretty loud. My memories from that night are a little fuzzy. I was a rookie and only remember roaming around and taking pictures within our ranks for a little while. I do remember playing When You Wish and marching off the field. Loading up and visiting one last time with everyone before leaving is the only vivid memory I have of that evening. Too long ago.

Hey does anyone know where I can find video of the announcer announcing scores for 1988... i want to see the reaction to the Scouts winning championships. :)

-Weedy

Well, I thought I might be able to help you out, but turns out I can't. I have a tape of the 1988 telecast, but unfortunately it's a copy of someone else's tape, so it was dubbed on SP to improve the quality of the copy as much as possible. Because of the pledge breaks, the telecast went over the two-hour mark, and so my tape runs out right after the annual "On the Road Again" montage. Sorry 'bout that!

My own memories are based on watching the telecast, and I was a bit surprised at how things turned out. I thought BD had it nailed down. But, of course, the telecast never gives you the complete picture, and people I knew who went to finals told me they felt Madison completely deserved the title. As one friend put it, "Madison totally outmarched everyone else." And then, as others have noted, there was that incredible excitement factor that culminated with "Malaguena." You can hear the crowd just exploding!

Edited by byline

• 3 weeks later...

In all my years in drum corps, I have never seen a reaction to a show like that, and not sure that we ever will again. It was pure magic. I was sitting with a few buddies from the Freelancers, and we just looked at each other in disbelief. There was absolutley NO DOUBT who one that show, but the big question was if the judges would allow it to happen.

Side note: after battling with Hutch all season, that night was the first that we truely had the opportunity to enjoy the sound of music show. Yeah, we were bitter we got beat after ripping them up all season long at the major DCI events, but those kids worked their butts off, and I have to say it's still one of my all time favorite shows! Hat's off the Hutch '88.

Between Freelancers, Crossmen, Dutch, and Sky Ryders that year, we all beat up on each other, but it was good times. You'll never see a battle for 12th like that ever again.

(snip)

Side note: after battling with Hutch all season, that night was the first that we truely had the opportunity to enjoy the sound of music show. Yeah, we were bitter we got beat after ripping them up all season long at the major DCI events, but those kids worked their butts off, and I have to say it's still one of my all time favorite shows! Hat's off the Hutch '88.

Between Freelancers, Crossmen, Dutch, and Sky Ryders that year, we all beat up on each other, but it was good times. You'll never see a battle for 12th like that ever again.

And Jason, here's to the 88 Freelancers as well! :tongue:

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember they had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching them at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

Your cool opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. The corps came off the line doing some hissing type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about the corps. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. :cool: (It's been quite a while since I've heard any hornline let loose like that.)

My take on the crowd's response and Scouts winning:

People may have been thinking the Scouts weren't really much on the radar that summer to win (they weren't on mine either at the time) but Sky toured with both Madison AND SCV during the last month and - looking back - by the time the Scouts were making their way to Kansas City, they were a raging inferno. :ph34r: Stunning, classic, precise Madison. I talk a lot about how SCV had a Golden Show in Finals, but there's really no other way to describe Madison's performance. Not sure if I've EVER seen a more enthusiastic crowd response.

And speaking of SCV's finals performance. Who can blame anybody for thinking they had just won when Crocker announced BD in ... 3rd?!?? SCV had really cleaned up that show SOOOO much in the last month and were clearly right on the verge of popping out of the pack. (although I'm not sure if anybody felt BD was actually truly vulnerable at that point.)

And I agree with everyone who for a split second couldn't figure out who was left to win. I'll admit that I had to watch both from way up high and from like.. the Zero yard line, since I was a corps member without an actual ticket. Even from way over there, the feeling of experiencing Madison's performance that night defies description. And even though I had just seen Madison TEAR IT ALLLL UP in Finals, I had also seen SCV have an undeniably Truly Magical performance. ... So after I heard them announce BD in 3rd... I was standing out on the field at the back of Sky's horn block and was like "Holy CRAP! SCV just won DCI."

And Jason, here's to the 88 Freelancers as well! :tongue:

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember they had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching them at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

Your cool opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. The corps came off the line doing some hissing type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about the corps. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. :cool: (It's been quite a while since I've heard any hornline let loose like that.)

My take on the crowd's response and Scouts winning:

People may have been thinking the Scouts weren't really much on the radar that summer to win (they weren't on mine either at the time) but Sky toured with both Madison AND SCV during the last month and - looking back - by the time the Scouts were making their way to Kansas City, they were a raging inferno. :ph34r: Stunning, classic, precise Madison. I talk a lot about how SCV had a Golden Show in Finals, but there's really no other way to describe Madison's performance. Not sure if I've EVER seen a more enthusiastic crowd response.

And speaking of SCV's finals performance. Who can blame anybody for thinking they had just won when Crocker announced BD in ... 3rd?!?? SCV had really cleaned up that show SOOOO much in the last month and were clearly right on the verge of popping out of the pack. (although I'm not sure if anybody felt BD was actually truly vulnerable at that point.)

And I agree with everyone who for a split second couldn't figure out who was left to win. I'll admit that I had to watch both from way up high and from like.. the Zero yard line, since I was a corps member without an actual ticket. Even from way over there, the feeling of experiencing Madison's performance that night defies description. And even though I had just seen Madison TEAR IT ALLLL UP in Finals, I had also seen SCV have an undeniably Truly Magical performance. ... So after I heard them announce BD in 3rd... I was standing out on the field at the back of Sky's horn block and was like "Holy CRAP! SCV just won DCI."

Thanks Brad. Tim and I have talked about this, but I recall one night somewhere in Ohio, we had a show with Sky, Spirit (anyone know the sop player known as "House"... that dude rocked!) I think SCV and Madison and BD, and after the show, going to the McDonald's across the street (I felt so bad for those McD's workers, they had no idea what hit them). A group of us were standing in line, waiting to order, and these three girls from Hutch were in front of us. We really didn't talk, other than to say hi and how much we liked their show, but midway through the wait, a couple of locals came up and stated harassing the young ladies. Seeing this, the three of us (all guys) jumped in and stood between the girls and the geeks, and basically told them to leave (in so many words). They got the hint. The point to all of this is, we may do battle on the field, but when it comes to off the field, we are all family. I will never forget that night, and never forget them saying thank you...

I know I speak for everyone who marched that year when I say we admired you work ethic. Our staff used to yell at us when we were slacking saying, "you guys are whining, when Hutch has been up since 5:00 am on the rehearsal field... we know, we drove past them earlier" (they would say the same thing about SCV also... The motivation worked. But the bottom line was you folks had a bit more experience, and we were a corps that had just risen from the ashes, still a little wet behind the ears, probably a little to young to know any better. At the end of the day, I think all of us were satisfied with where we ended up, and 1988 gave us a taste of being a world class corps again. We used '88 the following year as motivation, and from day one we knew we were going to be in finals.

1989 we came out of the gate swinging, and the confidence was incredible. We had experience, and we knew how to pace ourselves. There was nothing that was going to get in our way, except ourselves. 1989 was an incredible year, to say the least.

Sorry, rambling, so many memories.

Thanks Brad. Tim and I have talked about this, but I recall one night somewhere in Ohio, we had a show with Sky, Spirit (anyone know the sop player known as "House"... that dude rocked!) I think SCV and Madison and BD, and after the show, going to the McDonald's across the street (I felt so bad for those McD's workers, they had no idea what hit them). A group of us were standing in line, waiting to order, and these three girls from Hutch were in front of us. We really didn't talk, other than to say hi and how much we liked their show, but midway through the wait, a couple of locals came up and stated harassing the young ladies. Seeing this, the three of us (all guys) jumped in and stood between the girls and the geeks, and basically told them to leave (in so many words). They got the hint. The point to all of this is, we may do battle on the field, but when it comes to off the field, we are all family. I will never forget that night, and never forget them saying thank you...

I know I speak for everyone who marched that year when I say we admired you work ethic. Our staff used to yell at us when we were slacking saying, "you guys are whining, when Hutch has been up since 5:00 am on the rehearsal field... we know, we drove past them earlier" (they would say the same thing about SCV also... The motivation worked. But the bottom line was you folks had a bit more experience, and we were a corps that had just risen from the ashes, still a little wet behind the ears, probably a little to young to know any better. At the end of the day, I think all of us were satisfied with where we ended up, and 1988 gave us a taste of being a world class corps again. We used '88 the following year as motivation, and from day one we knew we were going to be in finals.

1989 we came out of the gate swinging, and the confidence was incredible. We had experience, and we knew how to pace ourselves. There was nothing that was going to get in our way, except ourselves. 1989 was an incredible year, to say the least.

Sorry, rambling, so many memories.

thanks for the great memories. the freelancers were always a class act. and 88 was a great showf or them. As for retreat I can remember being on the field when madison was announced as the winner. we were happy for them since we toured withthem a lot and they were friends of ours. the crowd erupted like i've never seen before or since. the rest is a blur. (it's not really 20 years ago is it. :thumbup: )

I was there live. My last year involved in the activity.

I was calling people after semi's saying that I thought Madison had won. I think BD was more refined or smooth. Madison brought loads more excitement and energy.

It was an "EEEEEEElitric" evening, wasn't it? BD still was the RIGHTfull champion of the evening. I do think it's kinda funny ALOT(parking lot?) of you drum corps people don't get that. It just MAY be TIME for you people to go back and take a look and listen for YOURSELVES today. Sure.......Madison was "exciting", but the Concord Blue Devils had the LOVE

If you all don't mind I'll keep the green stone in my ring anyway...

"Rightfull" or not, it was an exciting night in KC!

Back on topic, I haven't seen the end of the PBS broadcast in years- The front line gets a great camera shot of Ms. Pesceone giving out our medals.