cadets 2007 show title?

Man, you're determined. I'll give you that. And I've seen people with half the drive that you have learn to play a brass instrument. I bet someone of your dedication could learn it and march THIS summer. Spend about half the time learning to play a brass instrument that you trying to change something that will probably never even be heard like you want it to be, and I know I'd see you on the field. I mean, I'm a current marcher, and maybe I like narration. Who are you to take away that option from what I'm doing right now, when you don't even compete and have never been through it? I could see former marching members having more pull than some person who's never experienced it. Just saying, I think you're spinning your wheels fast, but going nowhere. Don't wanna turn this into YET ANOTHER amp/anti amp thread, so I'm just openly suggesting/challenging you to a season on the field Hroth, assuming you're physically capable and of the appropriate age that I'm pretty sure you are.

I'm thinking of preparing and auditioning for the 2009 season. Right now, I'm not at a point in my life where I want to march. And I'm not going to lie, I'm doing this purely because I personally don't want narration in the Cadets show because it will ruin it for me, though I'm sure I'm in the same boat as many others.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And man, I'm totally cool with someone preparing a goal like 2009 especially because you'd obviously be learning a new instrument. Way cool. But again, I have to ask, as just a casual fan, why should someone like a dci director or dci board care what you think? You think narration will ruin the 2007 Cadets production for you. I think not having narration will ruin the Cadets 2007 production for me. Now we're at a stand off. Should my opinion count anymore than you? Nope. So, should I prepare to write letters to all DCI corps directors and get a petition to ask them all TO have narration?

And man, I'm totally cool with someone preparing a goal like 2009 especially because you'd obviously be learning a new instrument. Way cool. But again, I have to ask, as just a casual fan, why should someone like a dci director or dci board care what you think? You think narration will ruin the 2007 Cadets production for you. I think not having narration will ruin the Cadets 2007 production for me. Now we're at a stand off. Should my opinion count anymore than you? Nope. So, should I prepare to write letters to all DCI corps directors and get a petition to ask them all TO have narration?

Well, I think you're just being facetious, because that would mean that 400+ DCI shows are ruined for you because they don't have narration. But if you really were determined to have it be included in the show, I'd say go right ahead, do what needs to be done. Your opinion counts just as much as mine or anyone's does.

Of course I'm being facetious. And no, 400 some shows have not been ruined for me because they didn't have amps. It just seems silly to me to not give the Cadets a chance for the year. Amp= bad in your mind, and that to me seems prejudice. You don't like it, and you know what, I dont always either. There's been some shows I found to be awful because of narration(For me, Boston 04. Couldnt stand it). But those are my tastes. If you're such the big drum corps fan that I think you are, why would you dislike your favorite corps just because of amps? Do I dislike a basketball team for choosing to use a zone defense? No, I give them a chance to let the people in charge that have the EXPERIENCE, make the right decision for the team. There are plenty of fans in sports that dislike a management or coach, but really, it doesn't make the difference. Look at the Detroit Lions, no matter what we do here, we can't get rid of Matt Millen. We hate it here in Detroit, but you know what, the management in Detroit for whatever reason feels he's doing the right things for the team. At some point we either have to stop caring about the team, or accept it for what it is.

Of course I'm being facetious. And no, 400 some shows have not been ruined for me because they didn't have amps. It just seems silly to me to not give the Cadets a chance for the year. Amp= bad in your mind, and that to me seems prejudice. You don't like it, and you know what, I dont always either. There's been some shows I found to be awful because of narration(For me, Boston 04. Couldnt stand it). But those are my tastes. If you're such the big drum corps fan that I think you are, why would you dislike your favorite corps just because of amps? Do I dislike a basketball team for choosing to use a zone defense? No, I give them a chance to let the people in charge that have the EXPERIENCE, make the right decision for the team. There are plenty of fans in sports that dislike a management or coach, but really, it doesn't make the difference. Look at the Detroit Lions, no matter what we do here, we can't get rid of Matt Millen. We hate it here in Detroit, but you know what, the management in Detroit for whatever reason feels he's doing the right things for the team. At some point we either have to stop caring about the team, or accept it for what it is.

First things first, I don't choose to like or dislike any show. You can't force yourself to like something, and you can't force yourself to dislike something. Do you think I would honestly say, "The Cadets are my favorite corps, but I'm purposefully choosing not to like their show this year"? No! Narration is the worst thing to ever happen to this activity, and those in favor of including it in their shows fail to realize how much it can completely ruin what would have otherwise been an amazing show.

Also, the better the music and drill, the worse the show becomes with the addition of narration, because so much is being wasted, and we'll never have the opportunity to view the show without the narration. If the Cadets are planning on putting narration in the show, I honestly want them to have the worst music and drill imagineable, so it wouldn't be so bad that their show is ruined (what I've heard so far as been absolutely spectacular, though).

I'm sure they will be great, they are always great. Narration or not. They will be great. I probably won't like it much, but there is no way in denying that they will be great. The Cadets are always great. Great musicians, great marchers, great performers. So i don't think the narration will matter, they will still be a top 5 contender, for sure. And yes, Rex Grossmen is our quarterback. Thank you.

First things first, I don't choose to like or dislike any show. You can't force yourself to like something, and you can't force yourself to dislike something. Do you think I would honestly say, "The Cadets are my favorite corps, but I'm purposefully choosing not to like their show this year"? No! Narration is the worst thing to ever happen to this activity, and those in favor of including it in their shows fail to realize how much it can completely ruin what would have otherwise been an amazing show.

Also, the better the music and drill, the worse the show becomes with the addition of narration, because so much is being wasted, and we'll never have the opportunity to view the show without the narration. If the Cadets are planning on putting narration in the show, I honestly want them to have the worst music and drill imagineable, so it wouldn't be so bad that their show is ruined (what I've heard so far as been absolutely spectacular, though).

I found you to contradict yourself about 1000 times in that. I may even have to pin this somewhere on my computer incase a conversation about contradiction ever comes about and I need an example.

The Obvious: bulls*** you cant force yourself to like or dislike something. From people, to foods, to just random things, you can completely force yourself to like or dislike something. I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS BY ANY MEANS but it can easily be done.

The My Opinion part: As far as the "Do you think I would honestly say, "The Cadets are my favorite corps, but I'm purposefully choosing not to like their show this year"?" yes. For over a year now that's all I've heard you say if I had to summarize your postings.

The Too Easy: "I honestly want them to have the worst music and drill imagineable, so it wouldn't be so bad that their show is ruined". You're freaking kidding right? Like, it was a sarcastic comment that just didn't come across on the internet? Are you a fan or not?

Seriously, just go back and re-read that post. You talk about how you don't make these decisions but its just your opinion, and then go into how awful shows with narration are, only to turn around and say how great the cadets show sounds so far. Does the human voice really ruin good music for you? Have you never played or heard Peter and the Wolf or Lincoln Portraits? Are you going to tell me that those works are ruined because they include narration? I'd tell you you're nuts. You may not think it belongs on a drum corps field and I still maintain I'm okay with that opinion, but I don't believe it can ruin a piece of music, show, or corps for you, unless you truly are that close minded.

Here let me fix that....

First things first, I don't choose to like or dislike any show. You can't force yourself to like something, and you can't force yourself to dislike something. Do you think I would honestly say, "The Cadets are my favorite corps, but I'm purposefully choosing not to like their show this year"? No! Narration is the worst thing to ever happen to this activity, and those in favor of including it in their shows fail to realize how much it can completely ruin what would have otherwise been an amazing show....for Hrothgar15.

:)