cadets 2007 show title?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good joke. The narration in that show was absolutely laughable.

Yeah. Not my favorite either. But I listen to that show all the time, because I love Gillingham's "Aerodynamics" and thought they played the pieces of it wonderfully. Didn't care for the narration, but it by no means ruined the show, for me.

The Obvious: bulls*** you cant force yourself to like or dislike something. From people, to foods, to just random things, you can completely force yourself to like or dislike something. I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS BY ANY MEANS but it can easily be done.

I disagree.

The My Opinion part: As far as the "Do you think I would honestly say, "The Cadets are my favorite corps, but I'm purposefully choosing not to like their show this year"?" yes. For over a year now that's all I've heard you say if I had to summarize your postings.

No. I've never purposefully chosen not to like their show.

The Too Easy: "I honestly want them to have the worst music and drill imagineable, so it wouldn't be so bad that their show is ruined". You're freaking kidding right? Like, it was a sarcastic comment that just didn't come across on the internet? Are you a fan or not?

No, I am being completely serious.

Seriously, just go back and re-read that post. You talk about how you don't make these decisions but its just your opinion, and then go into how awful shows with narration are, only to turn around and say how great the cadets show sounds so far.

Yes. The Cadets music sounds marvelous so far.

Does the human voice really ruin good music for you?

More than you can ever imagine.

Have you never played or heard Peter and the Wolf or Lincoln Portraits?

No.

Are you going to tell me that those works are ruined because they include narration?

I can't answer because I've never heard the pieces. Though I will say that if any of my favorite classical works had narration, they would be completely ruined.

I'd tell you you're nuts. You may not think it belongs on a drum corps field and I still maintain I'm okay with that opinion, but I don't believe it can ruin a piece of music, show, or corps for you, unless you truly are that close minded.

Yes, I agree that I am closed-minded when it comes to drum corps. I am not open to ideas such as narration, woodwinds, or electronics.

And Mike, you're right. This applies to me, and me only.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I love Peter and the Wolf. That's an prime example of how narration can be good in music.

Hard to pull off? Of course. Bad when it doesn't work? Yup. Possible? Oh yeah.

You should listen to those pieces Hroth, they're pretty much masterworks (well, I don't know if Peter and the Wolf is a "masterwork" per se, but a classic nonetheless). There have been works written using narration and electronics for DECADES now.

Downloading as we speak.