Indoor Brass?

No offense, but in no way is your group the first of it's kind(siad on your website). Star of Indiana did exactly what you are planning with Brass Theater after they got out of DCI. Specifically acting out a version of West Side Story.

Anyway, sounds like a great group.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but in no way is your group the first of it's kind(siad on your website). Star of Indiana did exactly what you are planning with Brass Theater after they got out of DCI. Specifically acting out a version of West Side Story.

Anyway, sounds like a great group.

We are planning on creating a new competitive circuit, perhaps a new arm within WGI. Star became a commercial endeavor completely on their own. Similarities...yes. The same thing...no.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by mjjdc

*welcomes herself back to the forums*

First thing I thought when I saw this thread was "that's freakin' sweet!" Why not have inside brass? Great sound, competitive, something different than an outside & on-the-green show & it CAN be done. My old school, Blackhawk, did that when I was in Jr. High.

So...why not?

Legends started out as an indoor brass & percussion ensemble in 2001- this past winter, the numbers were over 70! They also performed at Michigan's color guard circuit as an exhibition group ( the "technical classification" in our state is indoor band- yes, I know, EEEWWWW!) so, yes, it definitely CAN work. There are other groups out there...

• 5 months later...

bring up the dead, i know, but just ran across this

I work with Platinum ensemble.

We're out of north carolina and hope add a circuit in WGI as well...this is our second year...and we're using a brassline, drumline, and guard.

trying to stick to rules....we use 5 guard (legal mininum) 9 drumline and 16 brass (all approx. numbers)

just letting people know more stuff is out there...we're trying down here in the south!

Just throwing in my $.02, Desert Fire is using this as our "vehicle" to get started. It's relatively affordable, and a great way for us to raise interest in putting together a full corps in our community, plus it gets kids marching and playing.

Auditions are this Thursday for Desert Fire Winter Brass, and I would love to continue this program even into the years after a drum corps is spawned from it. If there was a circuit, that would be phenomenal!

I've posted on this topic before, during last winter season.

This year, Michigan will have 4 competitive indoor groups. Two independent, and two based out of high schools. Eos, the State Champion from the last two years is hoping to do exhibition in WGI for the 2009 season.

www.eoscorps.com

www.eclipseensembles.com

• 2 months later...

more bringing up of the dead, the trick to doing indoor ensembles if you're area doesn't have a circuit is to cater to what the circuit wants. (I.E. at Platinum we are including guard so that we still get scored, even though they're like 'why do you have brass, that's dumb'

If you're around the AIA circuit down here in the southeast, and you get a chance, go see a show platinum is at. I promise it's pretty entertaining, however new it may be.