bell covers

johnric

First what are they called? those elastic/material protectors you see around the edge of the bell on larger horns?

then where the heck would you buy them??????

Can I get one with a Bridgemen "Banana Power" pattern all over it!?

Bnr_Bmen07_Rcrt_DCP.gif

First what are they called? those elastic/material protectors you see around the edge of the bell on larger horns?

then where the heck would you buy them??????

We've got several of them on our horns, we just ask a tailor to make some for us. It's just cloth or anything that can withstand the cement or anything that will be beneath them. It has garter on both the other sides of the cloth.

Here are some pictures of the bell protectors

bell%20protectors.JPG

I turned the bell protector inside-out so you can see what it looks like...

bell%20protectors2.JPG

It's really a big help especially the contras which stands on the bell most of the time. It's also cheap :angry:

And Sir Attreides, I think you can have the 'Banana Power' pattern all over it :)

Hope this helps :)

Cheers!

Back in the day of playing the smaller 2 valve DEG Dynasty II contra, we used to get steering wheel covers for our bells. It doesn't work so well anymore with a 5/4 4Valve DEG with a 22" bell...not too many steering wheels that size. The one I have was made for me - as mentioned, just a ring of cloth with elastic sewn in the edges...any color or material you want!

one of the guys in the line made them for us when we marched (or maybe he had his mom make them, now I don't remember)....we had quite a few nicknames for them: tuba thongs (often shorten to just "thong"), rim jobs, rim savers, diapers, possibly more that I forgot.

We call ours 'horn panties'

This started when we were doing a parade and some of my baritone mates' bell cover fell off and someone yelled from the back 'Hey! Your panty fell'. That was the start of what it's being called today in our corps. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At both Empire Statesmen and Glassmen we have had these!

I love them and it save the bells of the horn, esp during winter rehearsals and on parking lots!

Both groups call them "condoms" ...

As for material, ES has used a Hawiian print for the last few years and recently went to a cow spotted type.

Glassmen use leather(pleather) because they seem to wistand the abuse of everydays and tour. Glassmen also use something called a "diaper" that goes around the underside of the horn to protect the uniform (cream gets dirty very easily)

From what I know, at ES - just mothers and wives had made them. The uniform crew at Glassmen actually makes them every year for the Contras! :huh: