DCI finals permanent sight

A few months back, there was an announcement by DCI that they were looking into a permanent sight location for finals week. If memory serves correctly, they were considering Indianapolis. Whatever happened to that idea? I just finished reading the latest "Drum Corps World" and there was no mention of it there nor do I remember any follow-up discussion in other recent issues.

Has DCI found a permanent home for finals week? Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes...now I remember. Once I re-read the DCI article you linked (August!!) it all came back. I must have blocked it out...an advanced case of denial. Thanks.

Whats more, the 2008 DCI World Championships will be the first event held in the new stadium.

Luckily DCI has an out in the contract after (I think) 3 years, so if the acoustics end up sucking DCI won't be stuck there for 10 years.

I was fortunate enough to sit with a DCI board member at the Atlanta Regional last summer and got the scoop.

I am all for a permanent site. Will save everyone a ton of hassle when planning for Nationals.

Too bad it can't be in Madison every year.

Dayton was great as a long time site for WGI.

Yes, I too think a semi-permanent sight makes perfect sense. The money saved for both DCI and the corps who travel to finals week is considerable. Not to mention the relation-building opportunities that exist with a long-term/permanent partner (in this case the city of Indianapolis and all its affiliated service businesses, etc.).

HOWEVER, the prospect of never having a finals week again in Madison is depressing. Going to Madison for drum corps has been a terrific vacation and the city supports drum corps in so many wonderful ways. Not to mention the event "fits" very well there. Being able to walk everywhere, the local support, etc. Perhaps a large regional show every year or two??

So, good luck to DCI. I'm looking forward to exploring Indianapolis and hope it works well. It certainly has wonderful potential!

Dayton was great as a long time site for WGI.

Is WGI moving from Dayton?

At least its 10 years in a row in Orlando.

Yes, I too think a semi-permanent sight makes perfect sense. The money saved for both DCI and the corps who travel to finals week is considerable. Not to mention the relation-building opportunities that exist with a long-term/permanent partner (in this case the city of Indianapolis and all its affiliated service businesses, etc.).

The DCI board member I spoke with (wish I could remember his name) said the biggest advantage was logistics.

That DCI spends almost 4 months of the year planning just Finals week.

Being able to simply repeat the previous years plan would amount to a huge savings in time and probably money.

The DCI board member I spoke with (wish I could remember his name) said the biggest advantage was logistics.

That DCI spends almost 4 months of the year planning just Finals week.

Being able to simply repeat the previous years plan would amount to a huge savings in time and probably money.

It's an incredible hassle to find housing for all the corps every year anew. And so many locales now start school earlier and earlier. Indianapolis has much going for it in these regards, plus there are tons of housing sites for the corps in the very near locality...not to mention a built-in local fan base that is without equal and should provide for great numbers even before the out-of-town fans come in.

Without having to reinvent the wheel every year, the DCI staff should find that they can use their time to focus on other things. People on staff I've spoken to about this are quite excited about the potential a permanent site offers.

I've said this before...Indy is a great city and the more one explores it, the more one finds to do. We'll also be there during the Indiana State Fair, which is right in the city. It's easy and cheap to fly there and if one really wants to see other places as well, Chicago, Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, Columbus and Cincinnati aren't that terribly far away.

I also feel it will be a great city for fans to go around to the various corps and watch rehearsals, as most corps should be fairly close in to the city. It's not like some other places, where corps have to be housed great distances out because of the number of available housing sites.

Overall, this is going to be a win-win for everyone.