Official Negative Cadets 2007 Topic

Well, I do choose to justify my opinion. In this case, especially, I felt it was appropriate because Iplaytimpani was asking me about it anyway.

That is a good point about guard acting. I don't have a problem with it because I feel it is more subtle and less intrusive than narration.

Mike, I do agree with you that different shows are designed for different purposes. I was just illustrating the fact that yes, narration in any situation ruins the show for me.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and I ever so politely disagree with your opinion of how subtle the guard work and acting can be. For years now guards have beat you over the head with acting and such to help the music out. And that's okay IN MY BOOK. That's part of the activity. But the first time they did it, I bet there was a huge debate and everyone sent in their letters to DCW.

That is something else I don't understand: why can't people just appreciate the good music that was made?

why?

A- b/c I did not find the amplified drum speak to be "good." if you got chops, use 'em.

B-b/c I did not find the ballad/voice thing to be "good." Yes, she has a lovely voice....but I'd rather hear her in some fabulous recital hall or theatre, not on the field during a show.

C-I do appreciate the marching and notes that the hornline, drums and pit did play. I appreciate the flagwork and the dedication those members put forth. That does not mean I liked it, or that I have to like it in order to appreciate it.

the things are not equal.... (appreciation and liking something that is) and that is the heart of why this argument comes up OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

You know, I can't stand all these pop tunes now-a-days because of all the darn lyrics. I don't want somebody singing to me, telling me their own emotions through words. I just want to list to the 4 chords they play over and over again with a cool beat and let me come up with my own interpritation of the music. What happened to the good old days of string quartets, piano trios, and syphonies (before they added those silly choirs singing words to the music)?

*sarcasm off*

Regiment's 2003 show was not designed with voice in mind, so yes, it worked perfectly well as it was (and boy, was it a GREAT show). Other shows ARE designed to use voice. They can and have worked just as fine.

IMO saying that show X didn't use voice and was great, so therefore NO use of voice can be just as great is just not a valid comparison.

agreed it's hard to compare shows that weren't designed w/voice in mind. :)

and I ever so politely disagree with your opinion of how subtle the guard work and acting can be. For years now guards have beat you over the head with acting and such to help the music out. And that's okay IN MY BOOK. That's part of the activity. But the first time they did it, I bet there was a huge debate and everyone sent in their letters to DCW.

Polite? Noooooooooo. We can't let this topic die four months before the season even starts!

You know, I can't stand all these pop tunes now-a-days because of all the darn lyrics. I don't want somebody singing to me, telling me their own emotions through words. I just want to list to the 4 chords they play over and over again with a cool beat and let me come up with my own interpritation of the music. What happened to the good old days of string quartets, piano trios, and syphonies (before they added those silly choirs singing words to the music)?

*sarcasm off*

Well, I think you meant to make one point, but ended up making the exact opposite point. String quartets still exist. So do piano trios, symphonies, as well as wind ensembles, bagpipes groups and barbershop quartets. None of these genres got eliminated because of the pop music wave. Sure, maybe they're not as popular as pop music, but they all still have a dedicated fan base.

This gets back to my earlier point. You like vocals? Good for you. You don't like vocals? Say it loud, say it proud. But all these analogies and "proofs" of why one opinion is justified and the other guy's is not just doesn't fly with me.

edit -- and I understand you were being sarcastic but I sensed a message behind your post. If not, then never mind :)

Edited by Liam

I'm just really happy that I'm not a Cadets fan, so I don't have to go through what must be an emotional rollercoaster ride when it comes to reading their show announcement stuff.

They're good at what they do, I just usually don't dig it, and I'm very skeptical.

Of course, what anyone thinks during the offseason really doesn't mean anything anyway. Good luck to them in 07!

darn it. I tried. I tried and I tried to stay out of it. I guess I just don't have the will power! Oh well!

Okay Hroth.. me and you...again...

If you like the Cadets SOOOOO much, when ARE you going to say something good about them? I've heard you talk about things you liked in the past with the Cadets, but unless I've missed it, in over a year I've never heard you say anything outside of your dislikes of the Cadets. Why not focus on the great arranging, members, pride, whatever else you DO like about the Cadets?

I know I'm not hrothgar.. but I have to toss my answer in..

... because then he would be "just a fan" and without drawing negative attention to himself, rendered completely irrelevant?

(for the record, I think being "just a fan" is spectacular.. but I find the "drawing negative attention to oneself" part tiresome and annoying.. particularly when it's repeated ad nauseum, ad infinitum.. but that's just me).

I can't wait to see what the Cadets do this year. I take most corps on a year by year basis.. one year I don't like them at all.. the next year they could be my favorite show... Cadets have plenty of slots on my "all time" lists (both favorite and least favorite).. I can look forward to this year's show without projecting a dislike of what they've done in the past or even just recently onto it before I've even heard it.

Again, I guess that's just me.

Stef