KK inactive for 07

One would have to look at the success rate...or lack of success in the state of Florida.

Floridians

Devil Dogs

Florida Wave

Suncoast Sound

Magic

and I am sure more can be added. Miami was not the best area for a corps anyways, and Orlando couldn't support a junior corps and the senior side has trouble with membership from year to year. There is an awful lot for young people to do year round here too.

Sorry about KK but I hope they keep their distance from Teal Sound and let them do their thing.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself to be friends with most of the current admin staff of the new corps, so by no means do I wish ill on them either. I just hope that they have it together IF they're gonna do it. They're a smart group and think they will do the right things, but for now, just haven't been making the best PR decisions.

This is exactly (parts of it word-for-word) what I, as a LONG-time member/staff/associate of the Kavaliers, say about the previous admin of the corps. Perhaps people can now try to understand how hard it was for Doug (you know, 30-hour car trips, etc.) to keep it from imploding when it was all on his head. And he had experience running a corps! But he lost his traditional support circle (see previous point about 30-hour car trips) whereas the current group are all closer geographically (hey, that's exactly what it was like when Doug first took over the corps. Imagine that?!)

Now that some of his critics have walked a couple hundred yards (not a full mile yet -- not even a kilometre) in his shoes, so-to-speak, perhaps they can now appreciate the task he faced, year-after-year, some modestly successful by our standards). And, so far, they've only just begun.

I also agree that they should make sure things are ready before they exacerbate (that's gotta be worth some award, Tilt) the poor reputation of late. If they are to use the name (I wonder if corps founder Jack Turner was asked about that?), they should make sure it's done with care.

Hopefully, by relieving the pressure of trying to field for the summer, and now having a better understanding of what they're up against, the new administration can take a deep breath and really get things going for 2008.

To reiterate: People were refunded for 2006, so that's been resolved.

Speaking of PR: I seem to remember a certain webmaster who was criticized for not updating the website often enough. Hmmmm????

Hi paul!

I know I never knew everything with Doug and won't even begin to claim to. But so far, this management has done a better job at least of trying to keep a dead horse breathing. Plus, I can personally tell you at least from everything I've seen, that Jay and Angel are better people than Doug. I also would rather have students or kids of mine with the current admin than the past. But that's really neither here nor there and dirty laundry.

I hope just as you and many others have said, that KK can really make it happen in 2008. I felt from the beginning that the admin needed a whole year to take care of house. There were simply too many things that needed to be done in not enough time, and many of them being cleaning up past messes.

And as for the website.. well... that's between you guys. :P

yah, I know, Doug's terrible! But we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for him. And the current admin hasn't done as much as a parade yet so, seriously, cut Doug some slack. Maybe you and Doug just had a personality clash??? Don't forget (or maybe you just don't realize), there are a lot of people (ex-KK associates) you don't know who actually like Doug.

Yes to all accounts. Like I said, I'd love to discuss this, but this public forum on a thread about the new KK, just isn't the place. And I know Doug did a great deal for the corps in the past, but unfortunatly as a "newer" member to the KK family starting in 01 with SPYE, I caught what seemed to be the tail end of Doug's times when the gas just ran out. Let's just leave it there for now as far as on a public board, eh? The current admin hasn't had the ability to even do so much as a parade as they've been having to completely re-organize and as far as I can tell, are doing the best job they can, for now. It really is a new corps with an old name. It's a showing of where the corps came from, more than being "the same corps". At least that's how I see it. I truly think that this group of admins can turn the corps around and start the slow climb back to the top. It's not going to be immediate, but I think in time it could happen. It could not too. Just have to take it a step at a time. For now, the corps wasn't prepared to be out there and give the best experience possible to it's members. So they aren't.

Doug is a very good friend and we all love him dearly! Please nothing negative about him.

Doug is a very good friend and we all love him dearly! Please nothing negative about him.

w/Stp: sans stupid.

When we teamed up with Kiwanis Kavaliers in mid 2006, we knew going in that there would be many obstacles for them to overcome. Mainly obtaining trust from the returning members, and auditionees. It's very hard for a group (not only KK) but any organization to strive when there is so much negativity around. All that is needed is for 1 person to read a negative comment about a certain organization for them to start to believe. They believe it, and it spreads like wild fire.

Rest assured that Kiwanis will most definitely be back in 2008. I, my administration and the rest of my staff at Paradox Percussion Theatre, are doing everything in our power to help them get on the road next year.

Will it be easy? No. As long as forums exist, negative comments will out number compliments.

__

On a side note....watch PDX perform pregame at the Super Bowl! (Sorry...had to plug it B) )

One would have to look at the success rate...or lack of success in the state of Florida.

Floridians

Devil Dogs

Florida Wave

Suncoast Sound

Magic

and I am sure more can be added. Miami was not the best area for a corps anyways, and Orlando couldn't support a junior corps and the senior side has trouble with membership from year to year. There is an awful lot for young people to do year round here too.

Sorry about KK but I hope they keep their distance from Teal Sound and let them do their thing.

Let's not forget Florida Guardsmen 92