Camp Packing List?

Gold Bond is something you should never leave home without.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FLIP-FLOPS, Im telling, after a long day in a visual block, your gonna want to get your feet out of shoes as fast as you can....Plus it makes things easier going to and coming back from the showers.

2 words Brad...

GOLD BOND

He's not gonna know what that is if this is his first camp!! :)

Pre-tour bonus for you since you're gonna ask in 3-4 months:

1.) Gold Bond keeps your jewels dry

2.) DCT is good. Carmex is evil. Get two. One for you. One for everyone who asks to borrow yours. Let them deal with lip rot (aka cold sores), not you.

3.) Silver polish. Purple-lavender looking goop. Smells like...smells. Do not ingest.

Off-day clothes, but only 1-2 pair (OK, maybe more for girls?). You're going to march, not to be seen. Besides, your tan will look so weird that anybody who sees you on the street will stare. Pack only what you need, then get rid of half the weight. And whoever said get sandals/flippers/etc is right on!! No socks with those--deal with the tan lines. Foot powder--same concept as Gold Bond, different anatomy.

And no cotton shorts--ugh! Someone came up with the brilliant idea to coordinate sections by shorts colors--good call! So buy 3-4 pair and wash them in the shower. That's all you need for rehearsal--for shorts, at least. Don't do like me and pack 14 pairs of everything--too heavy! You've got to wash it and you've got to lug it all over the country.

I had a foam mat that was OK but bulky. I'd probably recommend air mattress w/ blow dryer or whatever comes with it. Anybody have experience with those? You can take two (in case the first busts) and reduce one entire bag.

Flashlight. For midnight bathroom trips, wall film opportunities, and exposing certain activities...ha-ha! b**bs

Oh, and if you've got white pants for shows you might want to dye your whities flesh color--whities look really funny showing through white pants. Of course, free-ballin' takes care of that concern.

Been a while--is this stuff still accurate?

Potato guns, while entertaining, are bulky and not recommended.

LOL! He said "first camp" not TOUR... LOL... If you bring all the aforementioned items, you may look pretty foolish... lol...

Pack lite. The less stuff you have, the less stressed you'll be.

-Music

-Sleeping bag

-Pillow

-Towel

-Boxers/briefs/boxerbriefs whatever your preference is (i suggest boxer briefs for visual if you're going to be in shorts) unless you're a girl..

-2 Shirts

-1 pair of windpants

-1 pair of shirts

-Toothpaste, brush, deodorant

-Hair/body wash

-Your instrument (sticks, mallets, mouthpiece, whatever it is you play)

-Backpack for your music and accessories

You should be able to fit everything in a dufflebag and a backpack.

Pack lite. The less stuff you have, the less stressed you'll be.

-Music

-Sleeping bag

-Pillow

-Towel

-Boxers/briefs/boxerbriefs whatever your preference is (i suggest boxer briefs for visual if you're going to be in shorts) unless you're a girl..

-2 Shirts

-1 pair of windpants

-1 pair of shirts

-Toothpaste, brush, deodorant

-Hair/body wash

-Your instrument (sticks, mallets, mouthpiece, whatever it is you play)

-Backpack for your music and accessories

You should be able to fit everything in a dufflebag and a backpack.

Pretty good list ^OO^ , cept dont use windpants(at least my preference) for visual block, you dont wanna be "that guy" everyone is getting annoyed at b/c of the pants and that annoying "phsshhh" sound. So some shorts will do. But all in all thats a really good list, Maybe some marching gloves, some corps dont like you to use the rubberized dotted gloves, they can tarnish the horns pretty bad if used over and over again. Simple cotton gloves should do fine.

LOL! He said "first camp" not TOUR... LOL... If you bring all the aforementioned items, you may look pretty foolish... lol...

Sorry, don't know how the "quote myself" feature works...earlier post:

"Pre-tour bonus for you since you're gonna ask in 3-4 months"

Aaron, make sure to tell him all that stuff when he asks in May, huh?

Oboe Brad, you're from Texas, correct? Therefore, I'm assuming you're flying to camps for SCVC. It's even more crucial that you only bring what you need, otherwise you'll get charged more for putting too many things on the plane. However, I've developed some ways to get around this.

Flying Tips:

1) If you're bringing your own mellophone, try to bring it as a carry on. You may be thinking, "It won't fit." Well, the people working at the ticket counter don't have to know that... Just check in your suitcase/duffle bag and/or sleeping gear. That way, you're staying with only two things checked in. Take your back pack with you as a carry on. If you need more room for stuff, bring a pillow with a big case and stick more stuff in there (pillow cases make very good packing compartments).

2) Once you successfully get by with your mellophone as a carry on, wait for your boarding call. It is more than likely that the people at the counter will tell you that it won't fit in the over head compartments. Give your best, "Oh, I didn't know that," impression. They'll check in the instrument then, for free. Then you won't be charged more $$$ for having too many things to check in.

3) Put something that says, "FRAGILE - DO NOT BREAK OPEN!!!!" on your instrument case. Plaster it everywhere possible. Don't ask me why, but most airlines are too dumb to realize that they DON'T HAVE TO BREAK THE HATCHES to check what's in the case. This happened to me one, two, three...etc. times! It got highly annoying, and I didn't have the time to stand in line to have the airline charged with the damages they did to the case.

4) If they lose your luggage, don't worry. You are not the first person. Hopefully you will get your stuff back by late Friday night if there are multiple flights in your from destination. The airline I flew with lost my baggage two camps in a row, but I didn't have any other companies to fly with to my destination.

If you're not flying, this stuff is still useful for those of us who do not live remotely close to the corps we march with...