In regards to boo'ing

Your reaction...  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you agreed with another fan boo'ing that was sitting very near to you, but you were not boo'ing?

• Nothing, sit quietly.
    • Start boo'ing with them.
    • Shun them for boo'ing a corps.
    • Laugh.
  2. 2. What would you do if sitting near a boo'er that you completely disagreed with, regardless of anything happening on the field?

• Ignore them.
    • Laugh at them.
    • Shake your head in ashame.
    • Shout/talk to them about the boo'ing.
    • Threaten them.
    • Glare.

Yeah.....what you said Stef.....but why were there no responses that said: 'kick the crap outta them'? :sshh:

JImbalaya

Really? It always does??

gee, that's interesting because at finals this past year, I was sitting in my seat, minding my own business when a woman wearing a corps related jacket decided to sit on the seat at the end of our aisle (which was not hers, but hey, that's another thread entirely). When the scores were announced for a DIFFERENT corps.. one which had placed ahead of the corps named on her jacket.. she began to boo loudly.

I said calmly to her, "don't boo, that's rude."

Thus commenced the conversation that revealed she did not feel that THAT corps had been scored or placed to low.. but that THAT corps has beaten HER corps. SHE was intending HER boos to be heard by HER corps .. whose score had been announced already.. I know this because she TOLD me.

She also argued that "those kids know it's booing the score/placement.. they're not stupid" and a myriad of other responses I have read on this very thread used to justify this abhorrent behavior. Things went south when I suggested she return to the seat she purchased to continue exhibiting the offensive behavior.. again.. another thread entirely.

I suppose if I was prone to said abhorrent behavior I might also try to find ways to justify it with any excuse or 'historic precedent' I could find. I would probably also strive to point out (however backhandedly or vaguely) how blind, overly-sensitive or whiney people who thought my behavior was abhorrent are.

But here's the thing, I've had occasion to TALK to kids and even some adults who had been the inadvertent recipients of boos over the years.. and each time when I've asked them about it, if they remember it.. they always say, "yeah.. but not everybody is gonna like our show.. that's their loss."

So I have first hand experience with examples to the contrary of your statements.. not just ONE example but many over the course of many years.

You are free and welcome to believe whatever you wish and whatever makes you feel better about your behavior (if you are prone to boo "scores and placements").. I choose to believe that for which I have proof.. and the proof I have supports my previous assertions that it is NEVER okay to boo at a drum corps show.

There is NO circumstance under which booing is justified.. perhaps you feel strongly about something but I say there are better, more effective and less rude ways to express your displeasure for -- or more accurately by your assertion -- your support of a corps performance than opening your piehole to emit the sound of "boo."

Stef

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i dont get you guys. i totally boo. i boo when my favorite football team craps the bed. i boo the opposing hockey team. and i boo when drumcorps do something lame. why? because im a veiwer. and since i payed 15 bucks to get into the place i feel i have the right to express my satisfaction or dissatisfaction as a viewer and intended audience member.

therefore, if someone near me is booing, i feel they also have the right, even if i think they are completely wrong. so i let em go, and if agree with them maybe i join in.

something makes me think that all you guys that are so against booing, actually have booed or shown some sort of major visual/auditory disapproval before.

I guess that when the members get paid hundreds of thousands or even millions for performing, then you could voice your booing displeasure. Until then, these kids work and pay to do it.

That being said, why designers would design shows that would run the risk of having idiots boo their members is beyond me.

Can't believe I getting back into this, but ....

Are you sure that's what it always means? Booing could be that the audience thought one corps' score should have been higher as you state, but couldn't some of it also be that the boo-er disliked the corps above them and is booing because they wanted to see said corps drop. They can say "Hey, I didn't boo the corps' performance" but booing their placement can be interpreted as basically the same thing, just using the "boo the judges" mantra as a cover. I get what you're saying, and do agree that, theoretically, booing the judges is different than booing the corps, but it's a very fine line and can easily be misinterpreted, which is why I avoid it altogether.

I disagree with this. If I were in a corps that were placed higher than a corps whose placement caused booing, I would consider the crowd reaction during our show and realize that they liked us too.

Umm, how about "none of the above" or "it depends"?

I generally disagree with booing as I think drum corps is first and foremost about the kids...and it's pretty hard for the performers (i.e. the kids) to understand why someone is booing (i.e. they take it personally). However, sometimes, I disagree with the judging or have a strong (negative) reaction to the show's design and booing is tempting in those circumstances.

And it's not Cadets, G vs Bb, or amp related!

People get uptight over G v. Bb??? Geez, I thought about that for three seconds and concluded, "wow, what a marketing/advertising opportunity for DCI/DC's/instrument manufacturers!" That's the kind of stuff that DCI NEEDS to attract--advertising opportunities and MONEY!

Seen Google lately? All about advertising money. Good idea.

Bb? The corps sounded pretty good this year. I'd have a tough time listening and telling you which play which.

Now Cadets I can understand! (SOOOO just kidding! Don't hit me--I don't really mean that--here's a smiley! :) )

At the end, when they are announcing scores, a boo always means the crowd feels that corps should have been scored or placed higher. It has always meant that. Whoever is not aware of that American cultural tradition may be paranoid or just ultra-sensitive.

:laugh:

really? always? that's a pretty interesting theory. especially when applied to instances in which people boo the champion. i don't know how much higher that corps could have placed, and at that point i don't think they are concerned about scores.

but maybe i'm just not aware of American cultural tradition...

Thus commenced the conversation that revealed she did not feel that THAT corps had been scored or placed to low.. but that THAT corps has beaten HER corps. SHE was intending HER boos to be heard by HER corps .. whose score had been announced already.. I know this because she TOLD me.

I see. So since you encountered an idiot with no manners, that means EVERYONE since the dawn of time that has booed is the same species of idiot?

Not true. I am not saying it is ok to boo a corps because you do not like the show. I am not saying it is ok to walk up to a kid and boo in their face. It signifies a disagreement with the score, and no, no one is going to go down and argue with the judges.

Someone who boos the champions are idiots. Obviously.

Those of you who would be on the field and take it as a personal insult are looking for ways to be offended. That drives me nuts.

I also will be thrilled to see the others of you who never do anything that might cause the slightest ripple in the universe. Your halos will guide me.

I also will be thrilled to see the others of you who never do anything that might cause the slightest ripple in the universe. Your halos will guide me.

If there was no one to "do anything that might cause the slightest ripple in the universe," then we would be quite the backwards society. (unless that was meant to be a sarcastic remark...in which case I apologize)

Those of you who would be on the field and take it as a personal insult are looking for ways to be offended. That drives me nuts.

So you mean to tell me if you performed an 11 1/2 minute show, after hours of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears, that you would not get the slightest bit offended if the crowd booed your show? Somehow I don't believe that. I don't think the kids are looking for ways to get offended. I think they are just looking for ways to entertain you.

So you mean to tell me if you performed an 11 1/2 minute show, after hours of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears, that you would not get the slightest bit offended if the crowd booed your show

No, go back to my earlier post. Booing while a corps is coming on, on, or coming off the field is a no-no. My position is that during retreat, or its equivalent, a boo is for the score, not for the kids or the corps in general.

And I have done the show, the hours (and years) of blood, sweat, tears, and bones (rifle, ya know), and No, I would not get offended. I may disagree, but I would not be offended. Let the idiot boo, moo, or Blue.