• Cadets
    • Cavaliers
    • Crossmen
    • Madison Scouts
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • i don't know
    • all

this may shock some of you, but since i really have no idea how everyone is progressing i just picked SCV :) They had all their music done and passed out by December, they are so hardcore about it this year to avoid any disasters involving copyrighting, etc like they had last year. Its a hard book, and its a COOL book, i think it will remind many of 1999's line.

I have to go with BD's brass line this year, but I've heard rumors from multiple sources that SCV's opener this year is one of the most stunning drum corps spectacles ever seen............I guess we'll find out, eh?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fav is the Cadets hornline........mellophones are just incredible every year! I'm a low brass guy, but just hearing the mello line in the Cadets gives me goose bumps everytime I hear them!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my hornline / finals prediction

1 - Phantom = bold and darklow brass sound, tremendous hornline sound in G or B-flat; JD Shaw knows his stuff

2 - Cadets = killer mellos, great corps sound; they've made the best transition from G to B-flat. But wait for the Regiment hornline.

3 - BD = 18 High Brass trophies has to mean something; Wayne Downey's been doing something right

4 - Cavies = beautiful balance and blend, Saucedo can write great sounding chords

Ive heard some Cadets recordings and their low brass sounds so smooth...like chocolate...luke butta...I put my money on the Cadets. They sound like the Cadets of old that we all love.

I have to go with BD's brass line this year, but I've heard rumors from multiple sources that SCV's opener this year is one of the most stunning drum corps spectacles ever seen............I guess we'll find out, eh?

mmmm....i cant wait to see it. i get the music stuck in my head, literally, for hours. i even like their arrangements better than the original Orawa, the impact points are so well placed.

Edited by BennyASU

BD seems to have more talent, but they'll need to iron out some intonation and crass-tone issues before they can take the Cavies. We seemed to discover at our last camp that the era of just blowing loud is over.

I am one who has been rather critical of the Cavaliers hornline in the past. A running joke in the Cavalier forum amougst us alumni is we sign our posts "play louder".

Because I am from the old schooll, I can tell ya that rarely does a good loud horn not impress me. But I gotta tell ya I actually LISTENED to the Cavalier hornline last year and I was thouroughly impressed. The DVD and the CD's do not do them justice. You had to be there in the stands, block all the great drills moves out and just listen. If you did this at all last year and understood music there is no reason why you shouldn't agree that they were the best horn line in the activity in years.

Quite honestly, I see no reason way this year can't be better. Being close to the corp I can tell ya, they probably have even more talent this year. It all depends, as with any corp, on the show that they are given by the staff. From what I have been hearing, this should not be a problem.

We'll see but I can tell ya this, it will be interesting to see how other corps respond to how the judges responded to the Cavaliers last year. If corps respond accordingly, it will be a VERY interesting year. Especially since the Cavaliers and Garfield (sorry, like I said, I am old school) see each other like what, 10 times this year?

Can't wait!!!!

the high brass trophy that theyve won...oh...only about 18 times?

and should have won last year.......

hm, i disagree. I think BD's last high brass should have been 97...but thats just me :)

(lets see how long it takes for G to jump on that one) :P