Rule voting results

I'm more concerned about base memberships of smaller corps. It's not a matter of the kids where Div 1 is all or nothing, it's the kids who are in the smaller corps as a spring board. All of the leaders of the 2/3 and lower 1 corps would be more likely to go try out for their dream corps because of the additional spots. More people would make the high Div 1 corps, and there would be less people who don't make it and then go back to their smaller corps for another year to get better. Less time in these corps results in less members all together, results in less lower corps. Sure, maybe phantom could melt your face off more, but more and more corps would also being going the way of KK, Magic and Capital regiment.

Size does matter. A bigger look and sound = GE. As for Hopkins weaning us onto woodwinds, I really don't think it's worth it to worry about that rule for now. There are many less agenda-driven directors than George, and they realize how much this rule would alienate the activity's fan base. Drum corps will always remain a niche activity (like it or not) and this rule would definitely make that niche much smaller. It would be a bad financial move for DCI to pass this rule altogether. I don't think there is going to be one moment where woodwinds are just *BAM* in the activity, but it will be a much more gradual change if it happens at all. Whether or not this is the beginning of that change, well, I guess that's up to interpretation.

Div II/III has been dealing with size inconsistencies for years, and I don't think it'll change anytime soon.

Edited by sobe

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, The fact the electronic thing passed the instructors is just embarrasing. no further comment needed.

As far as 150 members, I will never understand why they feel the need to keep adding members. We seemed to do just fine with 128 back in the day.

As far as Div II/III members moving up here is a way to fix that that will make everyone happy.

Raise the age out for Div II/II to 23 but keep it at 22 for Div I

At the same time only allow div II/III corps to have a percentage of their members over 22.

So you say if you are 22 you can't march Div I, if you want to keep marching you may march Div II/III

but each Div II/III corps can only have (for example) 20 kids over the age of 22.

SO, this would boost membership for div II/II corps while not shutting out the younger kids.

I imagine most kids who march will still call it quits at 22, but if a Div II/III corps has local kids who are going to march with Div I corps then maybe those kids will jump at the chance for one more summer in the sun.

What does everyone think of that?

Ok, The fact the electronic thing passed the instructors is just embarrasing. no further comment needed.

As far as 150 members, I will never understand why they feel the need to keep adding members. We seemed to do just fine with 128 back in the day.

As far as Div II/III members moving up here is a way to fix that that will make everyone happy.

At the same time only allow div II/III corps to have a percentage of their members over 22.

So you say if you are 22 you can't march Div I, if you want to keep marching you may march Div II/III

but each Div II/III corps can only have (for example) 20 kids over the age of 22.

SO, this would boost membership for div II/II corps while not shutting out the younger kids.

I imagine most kids who march will still call it quits at 22, but if a Div II/III corps has local kids who are going to march with Div I corps then maybe those kids will jump at the chance for one more summer in the sun.

Actually, I think that idea would certainly help Div II/III grow, but what happens when a corps wants to move up to Div I? They would have to tell all their 23 year olds "sorry but you can't march this summer because we're moving up to Div I". Also, losing those 23 year olds would probably make it harder for a move up to Div I.

Actually, I think that idea would certainly help Div II/III grow, but what happens when a corps wants to move up to Div I? They would have to tell all their 23 year olds "sorry but you can't march this summer because we're moving up to Div I". Also, losing those 23 year olds would probably make it harder for a move up to Div I.

the whole point is to give them a boost of experience. If they want to go Div I they will have to give up their 20 (totally random number by the way) members. BUT being Div I should help them attract more -22 kids.

Yea, its a bit of a catch 22, but I still think the idea has merit

Div II/III has been dealing with size inconsistencies for years, and I don't think it'll change anytime soon.

This rule will not help those inconsistencies. DCI should be more concerned about the little guys while they're still around instead of passing rules that alienate them more.

That might work, but I don't think that'll fly with DCI. There's all this talk about tradition being defiled with these new electronics rules. DCI has had the 21 age limit since day 1, a tradition I think many marchers hold dear. Changing the age limit would probably just result in an even bigger outcry about the destruction of all that is holy in the activity. Besides, that rule would lead to giant talent inconsistencies in the 2/3 corps. The experience of a 2/3 before a div 1 would be completely different than marching one afterwards, and I don't think it would really be as enjoyable after marching a Div 1.

the whole point is to give them a boost of experience. If they want to go Div I they will have to give up their 20 (totally random number by the way) members. BUT being Div I should help them attract more -22 kids.

Yea, its a bit of a catch 22, but I still think the idea has merit

The idea has merit...but I don't like the fact that you would have to tell people they can't march because we're going Div I, especially if they've been a member of that corps for their whole drum corps experience. And I think it would make it slightly harder to move up to Div I.

This rule will not help those inconsistencies. DCI should be more concerned about the little guys while they're still around instead of passing rules that alienate them more.

That might work, but I don't think that'll fly with DCI. There's all this talk about tradition being defiled with these new electronics rules. DCI has had the 21 age limit since day 1, a tradition I think many marchers hold dear. Changing the age limit would probably just result in an even bigger outcry about the destruction of all that is holy in the activity. Besides, that rule would lead to giant talent inconsistencies in the 2/3 corps. The experience of a 2/3 before a div 1 would be completely different than marching one afterwards, and I don't think it would really be as enjoyable after marching a Div 1.

actually the year after I aged out they changed the rule so if you turn 22 after June 1st you can finish the season, so 22 is actually the age out age.

I would have been able to march 91 if they had gotten around to it a year earlier LOL

I also agree that marching div II/III would not be the same as marching Div I, but I think (and no insult intended) many would consider it preferable to marching Senior corps